Are you wondering what you should bring?
Think 3 Ss - Simple, Stylish, Sustainable!
To make your move-in easier, only bring things to get yourself situated right away. For example, if you are from the Twin Cities area, leave your winter clothes behind. You can always go back during long weekend, and that way you can minimize the clutter in your room.
Talk to your roommate beforehand - Facebook and social media are an OK place to start getting to know one another and plan for your room, but follow that up with a phone calls and talk to each other to plan your room. Maybe you don't need two printers or TVs in one room!
We want you to make your room feel like home. Bring things that will make you more comfortable and the transition to college easier. Decorate, decorate, decorate. Get creative and make your room unique and stylish, someplace that you want to spend time in!
Please refer to "Packing List" for a list of some items you may want to bring to college (as well as a few items you should leave at home).
Note: All beds at CSB are standard twin beds. A limited supply of XL Twin mattresses are available by request on a first come first served basis.
Bedlofts and mini-fridges are available for rent through Bedloft.com They also carry futons for sale. If you complete your order by July 29th, it will be delivered to your room prior to your arrival. If it is ordered after this date, it can be picked up outside of Mary Commons or the Margretta/Lottie loading dock on move-in day. Place all orders or return requests at www.bedloft.com.
Students at the College of St Benedict can order lofts at any time throughout the school year. Students will be contacted to set up a time to deliver the loft.
Note: Please check the Bedloft Information page for residential hall floor plan irregularities that may affect loft placement before ordering.
Students may bring mini-fridges (5 cubic feet or less), but we do encourage you to consider the environment and take advantage of the public refrigerators or renting a fridge for the one or two years you may need it. Also talk to your roommate to make sure that only one of you is bringing a mini-fridge if you absolutely need one in your room.
We have multiple hydration stations available on campus. Bring a water bottle and leave bottled water behind!
Things to leave at home
- Any type of heating unit with exposed heating elements (space heater, hot plate, etc.)
- Any item intended for use in a kitchen (i.e. microwaves, George Forman Grills, sandwich makers, etc.)--microwaves, stoves, and some cooking appliances are provided in the halls for students use.
- Decorative alcohol containters such as novelty beer bottles, bottle vases, etc.
- Homemade lofts or lofts from outside vendors--students can rent lofts from bedloft.com
- Firearms or other weapons
- Fireworks of any kind
- Candles and incense
- Halogen lamps
- Pets (other than fish)
- Color-catching washer sheets and detergent/softener sheets--these get stuck in the washing machine filters and ruin the machines
- Wireless internet routers--wireless internet is available throughout campus; outside routers interfere with the internet connection
All washers in the laundry rooms on campus are High-Efficiency (HE) washers and require HE laundry detergent. HE detergents are concentrated and low-sudsing, especially for low water HE washers. Regular detergents will damage the washers and cause damage to the machines taking them off line for student use. Please look for the "HE" symbol when you shop for laundry detergent.
If you have questions that are not answered on this page please call our office at (320) 363-5580 or email us at email@example.com.