Frequently Asked Questions
What is Political Science all About?
Political science is the study of governments and political behavior, procedures and policies. Political science has many facets. Political scientists are interested in the various styles and preconditions for effective decisions, the growth and evolution of governments, and the kinds of problems that all societies face. Political scientists also study people and their relationship to authority. They study how individuals think and act politically, values and positions on issues.
Our graduates have found success in a variety of fields, some of which include:
- Peace Corps
- Fulbright Scholarship, Jordan and Egypt
- Graduate study at George Washington University
- Graduate study at the Humphrey Institute, University of Minnesota
- Graduate study at the University of Denver
- Graduate study at Duke University
- Graduate study at Wilson School of Public Affairs, Princeton University
- Graduate study at Fletcher School, Tufts University
- Law school, University of Minnesota
- Law school, Harvard University
- Law school, University of California-Berkeley
- State Department, Washington, D.C.
- Legislative staff, Minnesota State Senate
- Member, Minnesota House of Representatives
- U.S. Senator’s Minnesota office, Minneapolis, Minn.
- U.S. Congressional staff, Washington, D.C.
- Statistician/data analyst, Pennsylvania Medical Society, Carlisle, Pa.
- Analyst, Accenture, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Operations Support Specialist, General Mills, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Government Relations Specialist, Minnesota Medical Association, St. Paul, Minn.
- Program Analyst, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C.
- Campaign Division Director, United Way, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Mediator, Department of Agriculture, state of South Dakota
- Social Funds Specialist, World Bank, Washington, D.C.
- Vice President, Senior National Sales Executive, Wells Fargo Bank, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Network Specialist, West Group, St. Paul, Minn.
Political Science related clubs or organizations on campus:
- Pre Law Society
- Mock Trial
- Speech and Debate Team
- College Democrats
- College Republicans
- Students Fostering Conservative Thought
- International Affairs Club
- Amnesty International