Student Exploration through Alum Mentorship
The new Student Exploration through Alum Mentorship (SEAM) program provides Bennie and Johnnie sophomores with an in-depth, inside look at the working world and the sometimes unexpected possibilities of a liberal arts major. The program – designed for students in traditional liberal arts majors – is built around a 3-day job shadow (externship) experience with an optional homestay for those who'd like it.
What is an externship? What would involvement in SEAM look like?
This is not an internship. SEAM externships are structured to fit within your spring break week (March 4-8, 2019). Due to the shortened timeline, the emphasis is not on project-based work and creating tangible products, but more on observing interactions, reviewing protocols and conducting informational interviews.
2018-2019 SEAM Timeline
- September: online mentor application opens, potential mentors contacted, interviews conducted
- October: online student application made available
- December: applications reviewed and matches made
- Late January/early February: student and alumni training
- Spring Break: March 4-8, 2019 three day externship takes place with optional homestay