One award is given annually to an alumnus who has provided outstanding volunteer service to Saint John's over a period of years. The Alumni Association Board of Directors, along with Saint John's staff, considers:
1) The degree to which the nominee's distinguished service is recognized by Saint John's and its various publics.
2) The degree to which the service is voluntary (versus service in the normal course of regular occupation, such as a former president of the University).
3) The degree to which the nominee's service and his interest in it was of benefit or of sigificance to the institution.
4) The degree to which the nominee's interest in and service to the institution is on a continuing basiss.
5) The degree to which the nominee has had an important influence in the lives of the Saint John's community (fellow alumni, students, etc.).
6) The degree to which the nominee might emulate or aspire to the virtues and lifestyle of Fr. Walter.