Frequently Asked Questions

Open House/Visitor Hours

The Link (bus service) stops running at 12 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. Bennies are allowed in the residence halls between 9 a.m. and 12 a.m. on Sun-Thurs., and 9 a.m. and 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. Visit hours in the residence halls are from 9 am - 12 pm Sunday through Thursday, and 9 am - 2 am on Friday and Saturday. Overnight guests are allowed, as long as they are male. There are no female overnight guests allowed.

Bathrooms/co-ed bathrooms  

There are bathrooms on every floor in the residence halls. There are women's bathrooms in the lower levels of the residence halls. On weekends, one bathroom in the first year residence hall is reserved for women.  

When will I know my roommate assignment?

Roommate assignments will be visible on the housing portal starting in Early-July. You will get an email sent to your campus email address giving information about your roommate and room/building assignment.   

How are roommates assigned?

Roommates are decided using the First Year Housing Questionnaire you filled out when you applied for housing. We match you with your roommate based on your similarities in lifestyle preferences.         

Roommate requests 

You can request a roommate when filling out the First Year Housing questionnaire. Once you are a sophomore/upperclassman, you will be able to request your roommate on the housing portal when housing selection is available.

Preferences for residence halls

We no longer allow students to choose which residence hall they will live in for their first year on campus. We will try to honor requests for specific residence halls, but there is no guarantee that your student will be placed in the residence hall they want.  

What can I do if I have roommate problems?    

Residential Life will always listen to your concerns. We have established a conflict process between you, your Resident Assistant, and Faculty Resident.
o First, providing honest and accurate information on the housing form is paramount. Avoid having your parent filling out the form. Second, understand that having a roommate is a great opportunity for growth! You will learn how to communicate with and respect another individual in a way that you might not have done before. And while it may be a little strange and difficult at first, some of life's deepest friendships are made by going through this process.

As for not getting along with your roommate, Residential Life will always listen to your concerns. We have an established roommate conflict process in place with full support from your Faculty Resident (FR) and Resident Assistant (RA) once you live on campus.   

I lost my key, what do I do?   

Go to the Residential Life office (Sexton 210), and explain what happened. Residential Life will have a new key made for your student.     

There are some scratches or other damage to my room, will I get charged for this?

Depending on the severity of the damage, the cost of the charge can change. There are repair charges and cleaning charges that are assessed by the Assitant Director of Housing, Ben Corbett. The most commonly charged items are missing keys and improper check outs. Improper check outs are when a student leaves their key somewhere else than the designated key drop-off locations. It can also mean that they student left campus without having their room checked by their RA.

Students can avoid some charges if there is damage to the room prior to their moving in. During the first two weeks of the semester, there is a form available on the Housing Portal for students to fill out regarding any damage they noticed when they arrived. It is very important that the student completes this form, so we can have a record of what the room conditions were before the students moved in, and avoid any uneccesary charges.

I am a transfer student - can I live on campus?      

Yes, you can live on campus. All transfer students and non-traditional first years are housed on the first floor of Thomas Hall. We ask that you fill out the Transfer Student Housing Questionnaire so we can best learn your interests and match you with a roommate that will help ease your transition into life at Saint John's.

What are your policies with alcohol and drugs?

Please refer to the J-book.

Smoking in residence halls

There is no smoking within the residence halls, or within 50 feet of the building.

What are the meal plans available to me?

Students living in a Residence Hall: The University requires that all SJU students living in Thomas, Mary, Benet, Bernard, Boniface, Patrick, Joe Hall and Greg House participate in a residential housing meal plan. First-year, sophomore and other upper- class students, who live in the above locations, are automatically assigned the Full Comfort Plan, Plus 250 Dining Bucks plan. Students have the choice to change to the Full Block plan, at no additional cost, or choose to sign up for a Continuous/Unlimited plan, which does have an additional cost.
Students living in On Campus Apartment Style living: Students are automatically assigned the Full Comfort Plan, Plus 250 Dining Bucks plan. Students are encouraged to be on a meal plan, however, a meal plan is not a requirement, and Apartment Style living students have the ability to change to any plan, including a NO meal plan option.
Students living Off campus: Students are assigned to a No Plan. Students are encouraged to be on a meal plan, and off campus students have the ability to sign up for any of the meal plan options.

SJU Dining Services     

I am an out of state/international student, where can I store my belongings?

We do have limited on campus storage available, on a first come, first serve basis. On campus storage is free, but there are also storage units for rent available in St. Joe and St. Cloud.

International/Out of State Student Storage Rules
Note: This page requires a CSB/SJU username and password to access. If accessing from off-campus, it requires "ad\" before your username to access successfully.

Due to limited space, we cannot store the following items:
 - Computers, printers
 - Televisions
 - Appliances (i.e. fridges)
 - Electrical items
 - Furniture
 - Other large items

If you have these items to store please make arrangements with friends to store your items or rent a space from a local storage company:
   Granite City Moving and Storage
   Ridgewood Self Storage

If you are worried about where to store your fridge or microwave, please consider a microfridge rental from

If I want to ship some of my belongings before I arrive, where should I send them?   

You can ship boxes to the SJU Mail Center prior to your move in date. Do not address them to your son's room, as the packages will be delayed.

Please address the boxes as shown below:o All incoming US Postal Service Mail should be addressed as follows:

Student Name
PO Box #XXXX (Enter student's box #)
Saint John's University
Collegeville, MN 56321-2000

All incoming items from other couriers such as UPS, FED EX, Speedee Delivery, Airborne Express, etc... should be addressed as follows:
Student Name
SJU-Campus Mail Center
2746 Sexton Drive
PO Box #XXXX (Enter student's box #)
Collegeville, MN 56321-2000

Are First Year students allowed to have a car on campus?

Yes. Permits for parking must be purchased. For more information, visit Parking Information.