Frequently Asked Questions

Where do new students live? 

New First-Year students live in either Tommy Hall or Mary Hall

Non-traditional aged and transfer students live on the first floor of Tommy Hall.

How do new students complete housing paperwork?

New students can start their housing form as early as April, after paying the $300 enrollment deposit. The housing form, accessible in the housing portal, is due by June 1st. We do not begin the roommate matching process until the form deadline.

Are students required to live on campus?

Students are required to live on campus unless granted permission from the Residential Life and Housing Office to live at home (with parents) or off-campus locally. Learn about our residency requirements.

How are roommates assigned?

  • New students complete the First Year Housing Questionnaire when applying for housing, and we match roommates based on similarities in lifestyle preferences. We ask questions about:
    • personal interests
    • sleep schedules
    • study habits
    • personal habits
    • cleanliness
  • New students can request a specific person as a roommate through the dedicated section of the First Year Housing questionnaire. A student must know their requested roommate's last name and campus email address.
  • Returning students can request a roommate via the housing portal during the annual room selection process.
  • Roommate assignments are visible on the housing portal starting in early July. New students also receive an email via their campus account with their room number and roommate information.

What if a student has roommate problems?    

Living with a roommate can be both a challenge and an opportunity for growth and friendship. Students with roommate concerns can seek support from Resident Assistants and Faculty Residents. Our conflict resolution process emphasizes listening, communication, and respect.

When can guests be in residential areas?

Male guests are allowed at any hour. CSB students and other guests are allowed in SJU residential areas during visiting hours: 9 am-midnight Sunday-Thursday and 9 am-2 am on Fridays and Saturdays. If a student wishes to house an overnight guest, they must first check-in with the Faculty Resident (FR). Female guests are never allowed overnight.

What if a student loses their room key?

A student who loses their room key should contact Life Safety Services to access their room.

What can students do if there is damage in their room or residential area?

  • Students should complete a work order form and report damages to their Resident Assistants. 
  • Students should report existing damage upon move-in to avoid unnecessary charges at the end of the year.
  • The cost of charges varies depending on damage severity. We carefully assess all repair and cleaning charges.

What if students need to live on campus before the academic year, during breaks, or after the academic year?

Circumstances sometimes require students to reside on campus before the academic year, over Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks, or after residence halls close. Students must complete a request form in advance of their early, break, or extended stay. Requests are only for:

  • International/Out of State Students
  • On-Campus Student Employees
  • Student-Athletes
  • Students with Academic-Related Reasons

See more information on Early Arrivals, Break Stays, and Extended Stays.

What amenities does on-campus housing offer?

Each room contains:

  • a bed (1 per student)
  • a desk (1 per student)
  • a bookcase (1 per room)
  • a sink (1 per room)
  • a wardrobe (1 per room)

Additional community amenities vary slightly by residential area.

Is wireless internet connection available on campus?

Yes, every academic and residential building on campus features wireless internet connection.

Do students need to bring a computer and printer to campus?

No, every residential area has a computer lab and printer. Each student has a $25 printing allowance (about 500 pages).

What size are student beds?

Student beds are sized as Twin XL (image) (39" x 80") and require Twin XL sheets. Students may choose to purchase sheets from Residence Hall Linens.

Can a student loft their bed?

Students living in Mary, Tommy, Patrick, Boniface, and Bernard Halls can rent a bed loft for their residence hall room from Futons and MicroFridges are also available for purchase.

What laundry facilities are available to students?

Every residential area has free-to-use washers and dryers. Students must provide their detergent and other laundry supplies.

Can out-of-state/international students store belongings on campus?

Out-of-state/international students can store belongings in on-campus storage for free on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Due to limited space, students cannot store:

  • Computers
  • Printers
  • Televisions
  • Appliances
  • Furniture
  • Other Large Items

Students concerned about storing appliances such as fridges or microwaves can consider rental from

What meal plans are available to students?

Student meal plans include combinations of meal passes and dining bucks that provide flexibility in campus dining. Meal plan options vary by student housing assignment because of differences in access to kitchens in residential areas.

  • Students living in a traditional residence hall - Benet, Bernard, Boniface, Greg, Joe, Mary, Thomas, Patrick - must participate in the Continous or Block Meal Plan. Students in a traditional residence hall are automatically assigned to the Continous Plan but may change to the Block Plan.
  • Students living in an on-campus apartment - Benet (Ground Floor Only), Emmaus, Flynntown Apartments, Frank, Marimon, Maur, Metten, Placid, Vincent, Virgil Michel, Yellow Thole - can choose to participate in the Continous, Block, Apartment 80, Apartment 30, or no meal plan. Students in an on-campus apartment are automatically assigned to the Apartment 80 Plan but may change to any meal plan.
  • Students living off-campus can choose to participate in any meal plan. Students in an on-campus apartment are automatically assigned no meal plan but may change to any meal plan.

For more information, visit SJU Dining Services.

How can students receive mail on campus?   

  • Students have a PO box and can ship mail to the SJU Mail Center.
  • These mail instructions explain how to find a student's PO box and mailing address. 
  • To avoid shipping delays, address mail to a student's PO box, not their room number.

Can students have a car on campus?

Students can have a car on campus and must purchase a parking permit for each academic year. Students can register for a parking permit through the forms portal. See more Parking Information.

Where can students seek medical services?

Both SJU and CSB campuses have a health center available for student use. For more information, visit CSB/SJU Health Services.

What should students do if they need emergency assistance?

Students should contact Life Safety Services at 320-363-2144 for emergency assistance of any kind, including, but not limited to:

  • Security/safety concerns
  • Medical emergencies
  • Fires

What are the campus policies?

A complete list of student policies, including information on alcohol and drugs, is in the J-book.

return to top