Insurance Requirements for Contractors
The policy of the Saint John's Physical Plant requires that all contractors, consultants, service providers, and/or vendors doing business with the OSB/SJU Physical Plant maintain general auto and liability insurance, as well as worker's compensation insurance.
Typical insurance requirements are listed below, though these limits may be increased for high risk jobs, as required by contract:
- The Order of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University including their agents, affiliates, employees and subsidiaries must be included as additional insureds on the Contractor’s policies (with the exception of Workers’ Compensation, Employers Liability and Professional Liability coverage).
- The Contractor’s policies shall be endorsed to waive all rights of subrogation against the Order of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University including their agents, affiliates, employees and subsidiaries.
- The Contractor’s policies will be Primary with the Order of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University coverage being non-contributory for any loss or claim arising out of the Contractor’s acts or omissions.
- Minimum insurance requirements for work on the Saint John’s campus are listed below:
- Worker’s Compensation – State Statutory
- Employer’s Liability- Bodily injury by accident - $1,000,000 each accident; $1,000,000 per disease policy limit; $1,000,000 per employee.
- Commercial General Liability – (including without limitation Premises Operations; Independent Contractors (let or sublet work); Contractual Liability; Products and Completed Operations, Personal Injury and Advertising Liability; Incidental Medical Malpractice; Amendment of Pollution Exclusion – hostile fire; Cross-liability and severability of interest); Minimum Coverage $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit per occurrence and a $2,000,000 general and products/completed operations aggregate limits. Coverage must include a separation of insureds clause. Additional insured coverage must be provided on the ISO CG 2010 & CG 20 37 (07/04 editions) or their equivalents. Coverage must be maintained through the applicable statute of repose.
- Commercial Auto Coverage - $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit per occurrence. (This policy shall cover all contractor furnished, owned, hired, and non-owned vehicles, including the loading and unloading thereof.)
- Umbrella Excess Liability - (following form on Employer’s Liability, Commercial General Liability and Commercial Automobile Coverages including Additional Insured and Waiver of Subrogation in favor of Order of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University including their agents, affiliates, employees and subsidiaries). Minimum Coverage - $5,000,000 Minimum Limit of liability coverage.
- Contractors Pollution Liability - $2,000,000 Each Claim – coverage shall apply to the scope of work as described in the contract including transportation and disposal and shall include bodily injury, property damage, loss of use and clean-up costs.
- Professional Liability - $2,000,000 Each Claim – required only if Contractor’s scope of services include architectural, engineering, professional consulting or construction management services.
- The limits of liability shall not be reduced by the costs of defense with the exception of Contractors Pollution Liability and Professional Liability.
- The Contractor shall maintain the required insurance in force continuously from before commencing work for a period at least twelve months after final completion, or for such longer period as may otherwise be required by the Contract Documents. Contractor shall maintain insurance policies with financially sound and reputable insurers with an AM Best Rating A-, VII or better.
- If greater limits or coverages are required elsewhere in the Contract Documents, the Contractor shall provide those coverages and limits as well.
- The Contractor’s Contractual Liability Insurance shall cover the Contractor’s obligations and any other contractual defense or indemnity obligations of the Contractor under the Agreement or Contract.
- Should any portion of the above be cancelled before the expiration date, the issuing insurer(s) will agree via endorsement to mail 30 days written notice to SJU/OSB.
- An of the above coverage limits may be met through a combination of underlying, primary and umbrella/excess insurance policies, provided the umbrella/excess policies are follow form and provide equal to or greater than the primary underlying policies.
- The Order of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University receipt and/or acceptance of a certificate of insurance that does not meet the insurance requirements herein will not be a waiver by The Order of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University of such requirements.
- The Contractor is responsible for satisfying their own deductible or Self Insured Retention (SIR) for any policy. Any deductibles or SIR’s in excess of $50,000 must be disclosed and approved by St. John’s University in advance.
- If Sub-Contractors are utilized by the Contractor, Contractor is responsible to see to it such subcontractors are in compliance with the above reference insurance requirements.
Please note in your records that the Order of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University is an additional insured and should be notified by you of renewals, cancellations, or changes in coverage.