Caritas - Man of Extraordinary Service Award
The Caritas Man of Extraordinary Service Award was created through the generosity of an anonymous donor to honor Saint John's undergraduate men who have demonstrated their dedication to serving others both at CSB/SJU and/or in the local community. These men show a commitment to society through an active participation in student leadership, civic leadership and social leadership. They are or have been actively involved with service organizations, student activities, and/or academic services.
Typically each year one First Year Johnnie, one Sophomore Johnnie, one Junior Johnnie, and one Senior Johnnie will be chosen to receive this award. Each Man of Extraordinary Service will receive a $2,500 scholarship for their demonstrated commitment to service. Note: Students may only receive this award once during their time at SJU.
The Selection Process
Early in the spring semester, a call for nominations is issued to CSB/SJU students, staff, and faculty. SJU undergraduate students may nominate themselves but will also need to submit a Letter of Recommendation from a member of the CSB/SJU faculty, staff, and/or peer.
In determining the recipients of this award, the Caritas Awards Committee considers the following:
- Dedication to serving others both at CSB/SJU and/or the local community
- Commitment to society through an active participation in student leadership, civic leadership and social leadership, i.e. SJU Senate, Service Learning experience
- Current or past activity with service organizations, student activities, and/or academic services, i.e. club officer/member, team captain, student worker.
After being nominated, the students will be required to write one 300 - 700 word essay collectively answering the following two questions:
- What is your understanding of the Benedictine character of Saint John's University and Abbey?
- How have you exemplified this character in your giving of service during your time at Saint John's?
Nominees must also submit a copy of their résumé. For self-nominations, you will need to submit a Letter of Support from someone in the CSB/SJU Community.