String Chamber Ensembles
- The Music Department places special emphasis on the development and performance of small ensemble practices and repertoire, making string chamber music at CSB/SJU particularly exciting and rewarding for both performers and audience members.
- CSB|SJU is home to 10 outstanding string ensembles, including string quartets and quintets, a cello ensemble, a bass ensemble, a viola da gamba consort, and a piano quintet.
- The repertoire performed is expansive, ranging from early classical to modern works.
- Participating students enjoy working closely with faculty to develop the skills necessary for high-quality chamber music performance; coaching sessions occur weekly, and often more frequently.
- String chamber music coaches include Dr. J. David Arnott, Dr. Lucia Magney, and Dr. Joshua Schwalbach.
- Many students take part in extra, independent rehearsals to further develop the skills they learn from their coaches.
- Performances occur with formal Chamber Orchestra concerts, student recitals, weddings, church services, community events, community school outreach, and many other opportunities (the piano quintet recently recorded a CD).
- Interested students should register for MUSC 240I, which can be taken for 0-1 credit.
- For more information, contact Dr. David Arnott.