Semester Break Information
Residential Areas at the College of Saint Benedict will officially close at 8:00 p.m. on December 20th, 2013 for the semester and will re-open on January 14th, 2014 at 9:00 a.m. The entire College of Saint Benedict campus will be closed from December 24th, 2012 - January 1st (reopening January 2nd).
Semester Break Requests
Residents must have approval from the Residential Life Office if they wish to remain in campus housing during any part of the official semester break. The College reserves the right to deny any Resident permission to remain in their housing during semester break. In addition, all policies must be followed or the privilege of staying on campus during the semester break may be revoked; requests to stay in college housing during the semester break are permitted on a very LIMITED basis.
Semester Break Service Hours
During this time campus services are extremely limited, including food service and transportation.
- CSB Dining Service Hours
- SJU Dining Service Hours
- Clemens & Alcuin Library Hours
- CSB & SJU Book Store Hours
- Residential Life Office
The entire College of Saint Benedict campus will be closed December 24, 2013 - January 1, 2014 (reopening January 2nd).
Housing Policy for Extended Semester Break
- ID card access will be changed in all residential areas. If you are not approved to be on campus your ID card will not work and you will not have access to the halls.
- ONLY ATHLETES, OUT OF STATE STUDENTS FROM OUTSIDE OF THE FIVE STATE REGION (MN, IA, WI, ND, SD), INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS, AND STUDENTS NOT FROM THE LOCAL AREA WHO ARE EMPLOYEES IN ESSENTIAL SERVICES, MAY BE GRANTED PERMISSION TO REMAIN ON CAMPUS. Please note: you must still sign a break agreement and request permission to be on campus even if you are requesting to stay for one of the reasons above. Those who do not complete a break agreement will not have access and all fees will apply.
- Residential Life representatives will confirm employment or athletic involvement with employers and/or coaches before permission to remain on campus is granted to any student. LOCAL STUDENTS WORKING OVER THE BREAK WILL NOT BE GRANTED PERMISSION TO REMAIN ON CAMPUS.
- Coaches have been asked to submit the names of athletes who need to be on campus over break for practice and the dates athletes need to return to campus. Please check with your coach to make sure your name is submitted. All athletes need to complete a Semester Break Agreement.
- Those who fail to request a break stay by the December 13, 2013 deadline will be charged a $25.00 administrative late request fee. If students arrive on campus without prior approval will not be granted access to the halls and/or will be assessed the $50.00 late request fee.
- SIGNING THE SEMESTER BREAK REQUEST AND MAKING A REQUEST TO STAY DOES NOT GUARANTEE BREAK ACCESS - APPROVAL WILL BE CONFIRMED BY YOUR RESIDENCE DIRECTOR (RD).
Other policies to keep in mind
- Parties are not permitted in the residence halls, apartments or campus houses during the break.
- During the Semester Break the campus is closed and the residence halls, apartments and campus houses are not open to the general public (i.e. non CSB/SJU Students). No overnight guests are allowed during the Semester Break.
- Students approved to remain on campus during the Semester Break Period may have CSB and SJU student guests during the break period. Please note that CSB and SJU student guests are not permitted to stay overnight.
- SJU students will not have ID card access to CSB residence halls or apartments during the Semester Break Period.
- CSB students are not permitted in the SJU residence halls or apartments at anytime during the break period.