Who is eligible for Upward Bound?
Three of the basic eligibility requirements for participation in the Upward Bound Program include:
- The family taxable income must fall within a certain range (variable depending on the size of the family).
- The parents do not have a 4-year college degree. (Students do not necessarily have to meet both criteria in order to participate in the program.) As mandated by congress, two-thirds of the students served must come from families with lower incomes, where neither parent graduated from college.
- The students are in grades 9-12 and attend one of the following four high schools (St. Cloud Apollo High School, St. Cloud Technical High School, Sauk Rapids-Rice High School, or Willmar High School).
In addition, the applicant must:
- Show potential for college work.
- Be motivated to succeed in high school as well as college.
- Make the commitment to the program that he/she will be in Upward Bound throughout his/her high school career.
- Have a desire to complete a college degree.