Mary Forman OSB
Associate Professor, Monastic Studies and Theology
College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University
Office: Luke 212, SJU
Areas of Speacialty:
Monastic History, Monastic Spirituality, History of Suffering and Healing, Desert Ammas, Medieval Mystics, Benedictinism
Classes Recently Taught:
DOT: The Biblical Tradition, Suffering and Christian Healing, Reading Seminar on Benedictine Spirituality for the Modern World
SOT: History of Christian Prayer, Monastic Formation, Desert Ammas: Midwives of Wisdom, Contemporary Monasticism: Currents, Queries & Concerns
Mary Forman, OSB, ed., One Heart, One Soul: Many Communities (Collegeville, MN: Saint John's University Press, 2009).
Mary Forman, OSB, Praying with the Desert Mothers (Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 2005).
"Teaching Early Monastic Sources: Grounding our Monastic Call in the Great Teachers of the Tradition," Novices and Directresses Institute, Monastery of St. Gertrude, Cottonwood, ID, May 15-16, 2010.
"Retreat on the Desert Ammas," Transfiguration Hermitage, Windsor, ME, October 16-17, 2009.
"Reflection," Convivium, SOT gathering of students, staff and faculty, October 29, 2009.
"Biblical and Benedictine Understandings on Work," for Erica Stonestreet's FYS class, November 23, 2009.
"Benedict Who? Presenting Benedictine Values in the Classroom," co-facilitated with S. Mar Faulkner, O.S.B., Ph.D., LES sessions, CSB-SJU, January 27 & 28, 2010.
"Prayer in the Catholic, Benedictine Tradition," BASSIC, St. Benedict's Parish, Avon, MN, February 3, 2010.
"Benedictine Charism: Hospitality," Conversatio: Retreats for Ministerial Renewal, sponsored by Saint John's School of Theology-Seminary, February 21-26, 2010; facilitator of guided retreat reflections.
Acknowledgement of 10 years of teaching, Academic Affairs Awards, CSB-SJU, May 4, 2010
- Co-facilitator, Group Spiritual Companioning for Companions on a Journey, CSB (Fall 2009 to present)
- Member, TU [Upper Division Theology] Assessment Committee, CSB-SJU, 2009-2010
- Member, Ad Hoc Committee for Professors Teaching THEO 111, DOT, 2007-present
- Member of Ad Hoc Committee on the ThM Degree, SOT, Spring 2010
- Member of Admission Committee, SOT, 2006- present
- Chair, Graduate Theological Studies Committee, 2008-2009, 2009-2010
- Chair, Monastic Institute Planning Committee, 2006-Fall 2009
- Mentor for Benjamin Sehnert, presentation of "The Pure Love of the Bridegroom: St. Macrina as the Bride of the Song of Songs," for The Great Plains Undergraduate Theology Conference, Sioux Fall, SD, April 16, 2010; and the same presentation at 2010 Scholarship and Creativity Day, CSB-SJU, April 28, 2010
- Second Reader for Thesis, SOT graduate student, 2009-2010
- Interviewer for CSB-SJU Trustee Scholarship candidates, February 5, 8, 12, 2010.--ILP on Benedictine Charism with SOT graduate student, Spring 2010
- Mentor at First Friday, DOT majors and minors gathering, March 26, 2010
- Associate Editor, American Benedictine Review, 1985-1991, 1997-present
- Associate Editor, Magistra: A Journal of Women's Spirituality in History, 1999-present
- Faculty for Benedictine Consortium for Distance Learning students, who e-mail assignments monthly for the course, "Early Monastic Sources."