Saint John's School of Theology and Seminary, in collaboration with the CSB/SJU Department of Theology, invites graduate and undergraduate students who are studying theology to apply for a two-week paid position as a counselor at the Youth in Theology and Ministry Summer Institute June 11-24, 2017. Counselors will gain ministry skills in leadership, supervision, evangelization, small group facilitation, service-learning, and worship skills. The position is designed to help theology majors and minors and graduate theology students discern their call to youth ministry. Interviews will take place in late January/early February and positions will be offered by mid-February.
Job Title: Youth in Theology and Ministry (YTM) Counselor
Department/Agency: School of Theology and Seminary: YTM Program
Length of Position: March - June, 2017
An applicant should seek to:
- Grow in pastoral ministry and leadership skills.
- Be a role model (mentor) to high school youth exploring theology, service/justice, and prayer at YTM.
- Provide supervision to high school youth attending YTM.
- Have fun and build enthusiasm for theological study and youth ministry.
- Sharing your faith and your love of God and theology with high school youth.
- Team supervision of fifty youth and specific supervision of eight youth.
- Small group facilitation.
- Engaging youth in free time experiences.
- Developing and leading YTM activities, including programming/activity development throughout the spring semester.
- An undergraduate theology major or minor or a graduate student with an interest in youth ministry or pastoral ministry. The position is also open to undergraduate students without a theology major or minor, but strongly interested in or discerning a call to youth ministry.
- A student at the College of Saint Benedict or Saint John's University.
- Leadership experience in youth ministry.
- Ability to enjoy mentoring high school youth while enforcing rules.
- A completed criminal background check.
- Ability to attend all meetings and the entire Summer Institute (June 9-24, 2017).
Required Meeting/Work Dates:
- March 2, 2017; 4:30-6:30pm
- March 16, 2017; 4:30-6:30pm
- March 30, 2017; 4:30-6:30pm
- April 20, 2017; 4:30-6:30pm
- Overnight Retreat: Dates TBD
- June 9-24, 2017 (Summer Institute)
Location: Saint John's University
Supervisor: Dr. Jeffrey Kaster, Director of Youth in Theology and Ministry; [email protected]
To apply for a position as a YTM counselor, click HERE.