Dale Launderville, OSB
Dean of School, Professor of Theology
B.A., Saint John's University, 1973
Area of Focus
- Old Testament / Hebrew Bible
Research /Teaching Interest/Biography
- Book of Ezekiel; Book of Numbers; History of Biblical Interpretation
- Catholic Biblical Association (1983 to present); Society of Biblical Literature (1990‑92, 2004--); Biblical Colloquium (a group of 12 Old Testament scholars who meet annually to discuss their research -- 1986 to present).
Service to Theological Education and Profession
- Member of Association of Theological Schools accreditation team in March of 1994 and in March of 1998.
- Member of the Planning Committee for the annual meeting of the Catholic Biblical Association, 2010-13.
- Chair of the Department of Theology, 1988‑89; 2008-present.
- Director of Benedictine Priesthood Students, 1987‑88.
- Director of the Jerusalem Program for the School of Theology (Spring, 1987; Summer, 1989)
- Director of Early Christian World Program in Italy, Turkey, Greece (Spring, 2004)
- Acting Dean of the School of Theology, 1989‑90.
- Dean of the School of Theology, 1990 to 1999; 2015-present.
- Rector of the Seminary, January, 1993 to August, 1997.
- Director of the following national conferences sponsored by the SOT:
- Liturgy and Social Justice (Summer of 1991), Ministry in the Year 2000 (Summer of 1994).
- As SOT Dean, director of the SOT summer school ‑ 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998.
- Serve as Faculty Resident/Chaplain for SOT in 2008-10.
- Director of the Monastic Institute, 2010-present.
University Committee Service
- Core Curriculum Committee for the Implementation of the Judaeo‑Christian Heritage Course, 1987‑88.
- Judaeo‑Christian Heritage committee, 1987‑88.
- MA Committee for the School of Theology (1986‑87, 1987‑88).
- Graduate Theological Studies Committee, 1988‑89; 2008-11; 2013-14
- Numerous SOT and university committees as Dean, 1989-1999
- Faculty Research and Development, 2000-2003
- Board of Regents of Saint John’s University, 2000-2009
- Executive Committee of the Board of Regents, 2003-4
- SOT Mdiv Task Force, 2003-4
- Search Committees for DOT Ethics Professor and for SOT Formation/Field Ed Director, 2003-4
- SJU Rank and Tenure Committee: 2004-5; Spring, 2006; 2006-7.
- Search Committee for DOT position on Theology and Gender in 2008; served as interviewer at SBL in 2006 for this position.
- Search Committee for Marketing Director, Summer, 2013.
- SOT MA Task Force, 2012-13.
- SOT/SEM Board Enrollment and Marketing Committee, 2011-present.
Service to St.John's and St.Benedict's
- St. John’s External Review Board, 2003–2006.
- Member of the Chaplain’s Team for St. Benedict’s Monastery, 2002-present.
Publications- Doctoral Dissertation
- A Comparative Study of Kingship in Biblical Israel, Homeric Greece, and Mesopotamia of the Old Babylonian Period (2000‑1500 BC), (Ann Arbor: University Microfilms, 1987).
- Piety and Politics: The Dynamics of Royal Authority in Homeric Greece, Biblical Israel, and Old Babylonian Mesopotamia (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2003).
- Spirit and Reason: The Embodied Character of Ezekiel’s Symbolic Thinking (Waco, TX: Baylor U. Press, 2007)
- Celibacy in the Ancient World: Its Ideal and Practice in Pre-Hellenistic Israel, Mesopotamia, and Greece (Liturgical Press, 2010).
- Preparing two-volume commentary on the Book of Ezekiel for the Illuminations Series of Eerdmans (ed. by C. L. Seow).
- “The Tower of Babel: Hybristic Resistance to the Diversification of Culture,” in The Bible Today 54 (2016) 173-79.
- “The Threat of Syncretism to Ezekiel’s Exilic Audience in the Dry Bones Passage” in Die Welt des Orient 45,1 (2015) 38-49.
- “Translating Biblical Texts Within an Ecclesial Context,” in God’s Word and the Church’s Council: Vatican II and Divine Revelation (ed. Mark O’Brien OP and Christopher Monaghan CP; Adelaide: ATF Theology, 2014) 149-62
- “ ‘Misogyny’ in Service of Theocentricity: Legitimate or Not?” in Prophets Male and Female: Gender and Prophecy in the Hebrew Bible, the eastern Mediterranean, and Ancient Near East (ed. Jonathan Stökl and Corrine L. Carvalho; SBL Ancient Israel and its Literature 15; Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2013) 193-214.
- “Why Pray the Psalms?” in Pastoral Essays in Honor of Lawrence Boadt, CSP (ed. Corrine L. Carvalho; New York/Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 2013.
- Naphtali S. Meshel, The ‘Grammar of Sacrifice’: A Generativist Study of the Israelite Sacrificial System in the Priestly Writings with a ‘Grammar’ of Σ (Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2014). In CBQ 77 (2015) ??
- Christopher G. Frechette, Mesopotamian Ritual-prayers of Hand-lifting” (Akkadian Šuillas): An Investigation in Light of the Idiomatic Meaning of the Rubric. AOAT 379; Münster: Ugarit-Verlag, 2012. In CBQ 75 (2013) 119-21.
- Lieve Watteeuw and Jan der Stock (eds), The Anjou Bible: A Royal Manuscript Revealed, Naples 1340 (Documenta Libraria 39; Corpus of Illuminated Manuscripts 18; Low Countries Series 13; Leuven: Leuven University/Peeters, 2010). In CBQ 74 (2012) 847-48.
- Arnold, Bill T. Genesis (NCBC; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009). In Journal of Hebrew Scriptures 10 (2010) at http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/reviews/reviews_new/review475.htm.
- Deborah L. Ellens, Women in the Sex Texts of Leviticus and Deuteronomy: A Comparative Conceptual Analysis in CBQ 71 (2009).
Talks and Papers
- “The Indwelling Spirit of Ezek 36:26-27 as Integral to the Ezekielian Tradition”, a paper presented to the Ezekiel Section of the Society of Biblical Literature at its Annual Meeting in San Francisco in November, 2011.
- “Priestly and Prophetic Approaches to the Symbolic Character of the Book of Ezekiel” for the seminar on Divinity in Ancient Israel at the Catholic Biblical Association meeting at Notre Dame on July 28-31, 2012.
- “The Threat of Fragmentation in the Mesopotamian Milieu: Ezekiel’s Priestly-Prophetic Response to Exilic Despair in the Dry Bones Passage,” for the session on Theological Perspectives on the Book of Ezekiel at the Society of Biblical Literature meeting in Chicago on November 17-20, 2012.
- “Prophetic Versus Apocalyptic Ezekiel: A Commentary on a Pluriform Text,” presented as a research report at the international meeting of the Catholic Biblical Association at Gonzaga U., Spokane, WA, August, 2013.
- “Text, Translations, and Reception History,” presented as a research report at the international meeting of the Catholic Biblical Association at Santa Clara U, Santa Clara, CA, August, 2016.
- Two presentation for the Monastic Institute on June 24-28, 2012 entitled: “Family Relationships within the Household of God: The Model for Christian and Monastic Community?” and “The Pursuit of Wisdom and the Integration of Heart and Mind.”
- Served as instructor for Junior Monks from various monastic communities in the US held at Mt. Angel Abbey, Oregon, on June 17-22, 2013.
- Workshop on the Psalms to the Permanent Deacons of the Diocese of Superior, July 13-14, 2013.
- SOT Theology Day presentation on “The Afterlife: Is There a Heaven? Is There a Hell,” Oct 1, Nov. 1, 7, Dec. 6, 2013; Jan 23, 2014.
- Presentations for the Episcopal Church’s Benedictine Experience at the Episcopal House of Prayer, September, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.