Kathryn Lilla Cox
Associate Professor of Moral Theology
B.S., University of Detroit, 1989
Office: Luke Hall 207
Area of Focus
- Moral Theology of Systematics
Research /Teaching Interest/Biography
- Fundamental Moral Theology, Conscience formation, Theology of infertility, The role of emotions in the Moral life
- Editorial Board for the Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics,
- Society of Christian Ethics
- Catholic Theological Society of America
- College Theology Society
- American Academy of Religion
- European Society for the Study of Science and Theology
Publications - Dissertation
- Successfully defended, November 2006
- Karl Rahner’s Theology of Concupiscence and the Role of Affect in Normative Theory: A Contemporary Dialogue
- Water Shaping Stone: Faith, Relationships, and Conscience Formation (Collegeville, MN: Michael Glazier imprint, Liturgical Press, 2015).
- Catholic Press Association 2016 First Place Winner in the Category Faithful Citizenship/Religious Freedom
Peer Reviewed - Articles
- “Toward a Theology of Infertility and the Role of Donum Vitae” Horizons Journal of the College Theology Society 40, no. 1 (June 2013): 28-52.
Peer Reviewed - Book Chapter
- “Green Solidarity: Liberation Theology, the Ecological Crisis, and the Poor” Chapter in Green
- Discipleship, edited by Tobias Winright, (Winona, MN: St. Mary’s Press, 2011): 266-284.
Journal Articles (invited)
- “A Clouded View: How Language Shapes Moral Perception” Union Seminary Quarterly Review 63:1 & 2 (2011): 84-96. This article can be accessed online. http://usqr.utsnyc.edu/?article=aclouded-view-how-language-shapes-moral-perception
- “The Limits of Hospitality.” Journal for the Society of Christian Ethics 36, no. 2 (Fall-Winter 2016): 215-217.
- “Beyond Apathy: A theology for Bystanders.” Journal for the Society of Christian Ethics 36, no. 2 (Fall-Winter 2016): 215-217.
- “Religious Morality in John Henry Newman: Hermeneutics of the Imagination.” Horizons 43, no. 1 (June 2016): 228-229.
- “Becoming Beholders, cultivating Sacramental Imagination and Actions in College Classrooms.” Worship 90, no. 1 (January 2016): 76-78.
- “Ethics and Spirituality: Readings in Moral Theology No. 17” Horizons 42 no. 1 (June 2015): 197-198.
Academic Conference Presentations (Peer Reviewed)
- “Important precursors to action: Thoughts in Psychology, Cognitive Linguistics, and Theology” at the European Society for the Study of Science and Theology, Lodz Poland, April 26 to May 1 2016. “The Role of Women Professors in Priestly Formation Fifty Years after Vatican II” at the “Still Strangers in our own house?” conference held in Chicago November 7, 2015 (Co-presented paper with Angela Senander, PhD)
- “Putting on the Mind of Christ: Conversion of Thoughts” the Catholic Theological Society of America, Miami, June 2013
- “Nourishing Moral Theology at the Scriptural Table,” New Wine, New Wineskins Symposium, Notre Dame, July 26-29, 2012 on July 28.
- “A Mosaic Approach to Moral Action Theory: Psychological, Biological, and Theological Contributions” presented at The Society of Christian Ethics, New Orleans, January 7, 2011
- “Moral Action’s Missing link – A Community’s Emotional Geography” at the Second Conference of Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church, Trento Italy, July 24-27, 2010
Invited Scholarly Presentations and Workshops
- “Transcending Women’s States of Life: Insights into our Giftedness from Scripture, the Rule of Benedict, and Infertility” at Women of the Church Conference, Ferdinand IN, October 7-9, 2016.
- “Catholic Social Teaching” for Collegium held St. John’s University, Collegeville MN, June 24, 2015
- “Seasons of the Moral Life” Theology Day for St. John’s School of Theology∙Seminary, Collegeville, MN. Presentations on March 20, 2015 (SJU), March 26, 2015 (Anaheim, CA), April 17, 2015 (Maple Grove, MN)
- “Moral Agency and Conscience Formation” – Three session Workshop to St. John’s Abbey, Collegeville, MN, January 7 and 8, 2013. Session Titles: Conscience in the Tradition: An Intellectual Inquiry; Moral Deliberation as a Communal Responsibility; Disagreement: Dissent or a form of Fidelity.
- “Faith and Reason: Developing a Formed Conscience” - Theology Day for St. John’s School of Theology∙Seminary, Collegeville, MN September 28, 2012, November 2, 2012 and Church of St. Mary Alexandria, MN, October 11, 2012
- “The Gospel, Elections & Our Conscience” at Christ our Light, Princeton, MN, November 2, 2016
- “The Gospel, National Elections, and the Vote of Conscience,” St. Joseph, MN, October 17, 2016 “Christian Morality” presented at the Basilica of St. Mary, Minneapolis, MN for their RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) class, January 31, 2012
- “Catholic Healthcare, Approaches to the End of Life, and Developments in Church Teaching on Nutrition and Hydration” presented at Healthcare East Hospice, St. Paul, MN, February 9, 2011.
- “Ethical Issues and the Church’s Approach to the End of Life” presented at St. Therese Church, Deephaven, MN, October 12, 2010
- “Praying the Rosary” for Our Lady of Lourdes - Rosary Christian Mothers Society, West Islip, NY, May 2002