Shawn Colberg, PhD
Assistant Professor of Theology
B.A., Saint Olaf College, 1997
M.Div.,Yale Divinity School, 2000
Ph.D., University of Notre Dame, 2008
Office: Quad 249C
Phone Number: 320-363-3188
Email: [email protected]
Area of Focus
- The History of Christianity with special focus in high scholastic and early Reformation theology. Professor Colberg works particularly in the theology of St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Bonaventure
Research /Teaching Interest/Biography
- Shawn Colberg is an Assistant Professor of Theology in the Department of Theology and the School of Theology at the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University. He received his degrees in theology from Saint Olaf College, Yale University Divinity School, and the University of Notre Dame. Shawn has published extensively in journals and he presently has a book under review at Catholic University of America Press which explores the theology of Thomas Aquinas and Bonaventure on human action and divine reward. Prior to teaching, Shawn served as a Pastoral Associate in two parishes and worked as a Consultant for Parishes for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. He lives in St. Joseph, MN with Kristin his spouse, who also teaches theology at St. Ben's and St. John's, and his two daughters Mary Clare and Catherine.
In addition to his manuscript currently under review, The Wayfarer's Reward, Professor Colberg has recently published the following:
- “Saint Bonaventure on the Sacrament of Marriage and Christian Perfection,” Archa verbi, Subsidia 13, forthcoming.
- “Aquinas and the Grace of Auxilium,” Modern Theology 32 (2016): 187-210.
- “Reductio as Pattern and Journey in Bonaventure,” Nova et Vetera 12 (2015): 675-700.
- Professor Colberg is a member of the Boston Colloquy in Historical Theology, the Catholic Theological Society of America, the College Theology Society, The International Society for the Study of Medieval Theology/ Internationale Gesellschaft für Theologische Mediävistik, and the Sixteenth Century Society.