William J. Cahoy
Associate Professor of Theology
B.A., Saint John's University, 1974
Office: Luke Hall 210
Area of Focus
- Systematic Theology
Research /Teaching Interest/Biography
- Søren Kierkegaard, 19th and 20th Century theology, Community
- "Hospitality," Abbey Banner, Fall, 2016.
- "A Community of Disciples: How the Church Benefits from the Intentional Community Movement," Bearings Online, September,8,2016
- In the Name of the Church: Vocation and Authorization for Lay Ecclesial Ministry, editor (Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2012)
- "A School for the Lord's Service: Benedictines, Wisdom and the Liberal Arts," Listening, Winter 2010 45:19-35
- "Why Theology? Catholic Reflection on TwentyYears of Literature on Theologcal Education," Resources in American Christianity
- "A Sense of Place and the Place of Sense," In Professing in the Postmodern Academy; Faculty and the Future of the Church-Related Colleges, 73-111. Edited by Stephen R. Haynes. Waco: Baylor Universtiy Press, 2002
“God, Power and Control,” ISTI Sun, October, 1999.
- "One Species or Two? Kierkegaard's Anthropology and the Feminist Critique of the Concept of Sin," Modern Theology, 11/4 (October, 1995): 429-54.
- Resource Consulting Team, In Trust
- Advisory Comm., ATS Educational Models and Practices Project
- Board of Directors and Treasurer, Society for the Arts in Religious and Theological Studies,
- Board of Directors, Collegeville Institute for Ecumenical and Cultural Research;
- Board of Trustees, Mount Mary College
- Previous: Board of Directors, Louisville Institute; Commission on Accrediting of the Asso. of Theological Schools
- Kierkegaard’s Concept of Revelation, Stephen Emmanuel (Albany: State Univ. of New York Press, 1996) Religious Studies Review, 23/2 (April, 1997):153
- Salt, Leaven and Light: The Community called Church, T. Howland Sanks (New York: Crossroads, 1992) Worship, 71/1 (Jan., 1997):79-83.
- Professing the Faith: Christian Theology in a North American Context, Douglas John Hall (Minneapolis: Fortress, 1993) in Pro Ecclesia, 5/3 (Summer, 1996): 367-70.
- Paul Tillich: A New Catholic Assessment, ed. R. Bulman & F. Parrella (Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 1994) Worship, 70/5 (Sept., 1996):471-74.
- Verbum Caro: An Encyclopedia of Jesus the Christ, Michael O'Carroll C.S.Sp. (Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 1992) Worship, 68/5 (Sept., 1994):458-60.
Talks and Papers
- “God, Power, & Control: Being Christian in a Secular Age,” Westminster Presbyterian, Minneapolis, Oct. 1, 2017.
- “God, Power, & Leadership,” Alumni College, Saint John’s University, June 23, 2017
- “Power, Control, & Pluralism: Being Church in a Secular Age,” Theology Day, Collegeville; Feb. 3 & 24, 2017; Scottsdale, AZ, Feb. 10; Minneapolis, Mar. 30; Maple Grove, MN, May 11.
- “Theological Foundations of Community,” Keynote address Lilly Youth Theology Network, Indianapolis, Feb. 1, 2017.
- “The Saint John’s Bible: Theology, Art & Imagination,” Pacific Lutheran Univ., Tacomah, WA, March 15, 2017; George Fox Univ., Newberg, OR, Jan. 19, 2017; Azusa Pacific School of Theology, 30th Anniversary Celebration, Azusa, CA, April 12, 2014.
- “Gaudium et Spes: An Introduction,” Vatican II & Ecumenism, St. John’s Univ., Oct. 19, 2015.
- American Academy of Religion; Søren Kierkegaard Society; Catholic Theological Society of America; Society for Arts in Religious and Theological Studies