Kathleen A. Cahalan
Professor of Practical Theology
B.A., Mundelein College, 1983
Office: Quad 251B
Area of Focus
- Pastoral Ministry, Practical Theology, Practical Wisdom, Vocation, Spiritual Practice
Research /Teaching Interest
Research: Vocation in work and the professions; practical wisdom and spiritual practice
Teaching: pastoral care, pastoral ministry, vocation, spiritual practice
- Kathleen A. Cahalan is professor of practical theology at Saint John’s University School of Theology and Seminary and director of the
Collegeville Institute Seminars, a collaborative, interdisciplinary, and ecumenical research project that includes seminars on vocation across the lifespan, vocation and faith in the professions, and interfaith perspectives on vocation.
Her most recent publications are as co-editor of Calling All Years Good: Christian Vocation throughout Life's Seasons, (Eerdmans, 2017) and Integrating Work in Theological Education, (Pickwick Publications, 2017) and author of a popular book, Stories We Live: Finding God's Calling All Around Us, (Eerdmans, 2017). She has also authored Living Your Discipleship: Seven Ways to Express Your Deepest Calling, co-authored with Laura Kelly Fanucci (Twenty-Third, 2015). In addition to books, the Seminars have produced small group resources and Lives Explored, a video narrative project on vocation.
- Member, Association of Practical Theology and International Academy of Practical Theology
- Project Director, Collegeville Institute Seminars
Publications - Books
Calling All Years Good: Vocation across the Lifespan
Stories We Live: Finding God’s Calling All around Us.
Callings in Today’s World: Voices from Eight Faith Perspectives.
Christian Practical Wisdom: What It Is, Why It Matters.
Living Your Discipleship: Seven Ways to Express Your Deepest Calling.
Opening the Field of Practical Theology.
Introducing the Practice of Ministry.
Formed in the Image of Christ: The Sacramental-Moral Theology of Bernard Häring.
|2003||Projects That Matter: Successful Planning and Evaluation for Religious
Organizations. Bethesda, Maryland: Alban Institute.
Most Recent Articles/Publications
- “Called to Follow: Vocation in the Catholic Tradition” in Callings in Today’s World: Voices from Eight Faith Perspectives (Eerdmans, 2016), 26-51.
- “Swimming,” in Christian Practical Wisdom: What It Is, Why It Matters (Eerdmans, 2016), 45-63.
- “Unknowing” in Christian Practical Wisdom: What It Is, Why It Matters (Eerdmans, 2016), 275-321.
- “Integrative Learning for Practical Wisdom,” Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, Vol 36 (2016): 7-16.
- “Roman Catholic Pastoral Theology,” in Opening the Field of Practical Theology, (Rowman & Littlefield, 2014), 217-32.
Publications - Book Reviews
- Richard R. Osmer, Practical Theology: An Introduction. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2008.
Review in Worship 83/4 (July 2009): 371-73.
- Elaine Graham et al., Theological Reflection: Methods. London: SCM Press, 2005.
Review in Worship, 81/4 (July 2007): 358-59.
- Christian Smith, Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers. New York: Oxford University Press, 2005.
Review in Worship, 79/6 (November 2005): 567-70.
- Robert L. Browning and Roy A. Reed, Forgiveness, Reconciliation and Moral Course: Motives and Designs for Ministry in a Troubled World. Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2004.
Review in Worship, 79/4 (July 2005): 372-74.
- Edward P. Hahnenberg, Ministries: A Relational Approach. Crossroad Pub. Co., 2003.
Review in Worship, 79/4 (July 2005): 378-80.
Lectures and Conference Papers
- “Knowing that Comes through Practice: Contributions from Practical Theology” and “Practicing toward Practical Wisdom: Growing in the Art of Ministry,” National Association of Catholic Chaplains, Webinar lectures, November 5 and 12, 2015.
- Keynote speaker, Catholics on Call: Partners Conference, September 24-25, 2015, Catholic Theological Union; “The Call to Discipleship, the Vocation to Ministry” and “Accompanying Our Callings: Practices of Prayer, Discernment, and Story-telling”
- Keynote speaker, Association of Theological Field Educators, Santa Fe, NM: “Learning Ministry I: From Novice to Competent Practitioners,” and “Learning Ministry II: Toward Practical Wisdom,” January 23-24, 2015.
- Smythe Lectures, Columbia Seminary, Atlanta, GA; October 28-30, 2014: “Called to Profess: Why Vocation Matters in the Work We Do”; “Toward Practical Wisdom: Integrative Teaching and Learning in Theological Education”; “Spiritual Practice for the Sake of Practical Wisdom: On Discernment, Humility, and Unknowing”
- “Overview of Pastoral and Practical Theology in the Catholic Context,” “Models of Integration in Theological and Professional Education,” and “Integration in Theological Education Curriculums,” Association of Graduate Programs in Ministry, Tucson, AZ, February 6-8, 2014.
Presentations, Workshops, and Retreats
- “Called to Profess: Why Vocation Matters in the Work We Do,” Annunciation Monastery Sponsorship Day, Bismarck, ND, May 12, 2016.
- “The Grammar of Vocation: Changing the Way We Speak about Our Callings,” Saint John’s School of Theology, Theology Day, March 4, April 1, April 7, 2016.
- School of Lectio Divina, retreat leader, St. Paul Monastery, St. Paul MN, February 19-24, 2016.
- “Integrating Theology and Ministry Practice” and “Practical Wisdom in Ministry,” Houston Medical Center, February 4-5, 2016.
- School of Discernment, retreat leader, St. Paul Monastery, St. Paul, MN, October 30-November 1, 2015.