Professor of Theology
B.A., Saint John's University, 1980
Office: Luke Hall 206
Area of Focus
- New Testament and Early Christianity
Research /Teaching Interest/Biography
- My research and teaching focuses on two main areas: 1) how early Christian sacramental practices, mainly Baptism and Eucharist, influenced the oral and written traditions that became part of the New Testament and 2) how the study of Scripture and the early Church Fathers helps us to understand better the intimate connection between theological study and pastoral practice. As a scholar and deacon I am actively engaged in the research world of the academy and the active pastoral ministry of the Church.
- Bobertz, Charles A. “Almsgiving as Patronage: The Role of Patroness in Third Century North African Christianity,” Studia Patristica (forthcoming, 2017).
- Bobertz, Charles A. The Gospel of Mark: A Liturgical Reading (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic Press, 2016).
- Bobertz, Charles A. Cyprian of Carthage: Priest and Patron. Studia Patristica Supplements (Leuven: Peeters, forthcoming 2017).
- Bobertz, Charles A.”That by His Passion He Might Purify the Water”: Ignatius of Antioch and the Beginning of Mark’s Gospel. Foundation and Facets Forum 3 (2014) 91-98.
- Bobertz, Charles A. “The Biblical Basis for Understanding Lay Ecclesial Ministry: A Consideration of Spiritual Gifts and the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12-14)” In the Name of the Church, William Cahoy, ed. (Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2012) 57-72.
- “Ritual and the Study of the Bible”, St. John’s School of Theology Newsletter, Spring/Summer 1996.
- Bobertz, Charles A. “The Gospel Readings,” in United in Christ: Preparing the Liturgy of the Word at Catholic Weddings (Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 2016), 61-81.
- Bobertz, Charles A. “Dei Verbum: Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation,” in A Liturgical Companion to the Documents of the Second Vatican Council (Chicago: Liturgical Training Publications, 2016) 15-22.
- Bobertz, Charles A. “The Gospel According to Matthew,” 2017 Sourcebook for Sundays, Season and Weekdays: The Almanac for Pastoral Liturgy (Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 2016) vi-ix.
- Bobertz, Charles A. “The Gospel According to Luke,” 2016 Sourcebook for Sundays, Season and Weekdays: The Almanac for Pastoral Liturgy (Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 2015) viii-xi.
Publications - Reviews
- Review of William Yarchin, History of Biblical Interpretation: A Reader. Catholic Biblical Quarterly 67 (2005) 705-706.
- Review of Eugen J. Pentiuc, Jesus the Messiah in the Hebrew Bible. Catholic Biblical Quarterly 69 (2007) 337-338.
- Review of Biblical Literature (2/3/2010).
- Review of Roger Pearce, ed., Eusebius of Caesarea: Gospel Problems and Solutions (Review of Biblical Literature (9/7/2012).
- Review of Robert C. Hill, Reading the Old Testament in Antioch. Catholic Biblical Quarterly 72 (2010) 112-113.
Selected Academic Professional Conference Papers
- “Ritual Within Narrative: An Interpretive Clue to the Narrative Structure of Mark’s Gospel,” Catholic Biblical Association Annual Meeting, August 2008.
- “Ritual Baptism and the Opening of Mark’s Gospel,” Annual Meeting of the Westar Institute, March 2010.
- “The Biblical Basis for Understanding Lay Ecclesial Ministry: A Consideration of Spiritual Gifts and the Body of Christ,” National Symposium on Lay Ecclesial Ministry, August 2011.
- “The Liturgical Purpose of Mark’s Gospel,” Catholic Biblical Association Annual Meeting, August 2013.
- “Re-thinking the Narrative History of Mark’s Gospel,” Catholic Biblical Association Annual Meeting August 2015
Professional Community Lectures - Selected since 2005
- “Disciples in the Gospels: The Story of Peter and the Beloved Disciple,” Annual Doris Murphy Lecture, St. Bridget’s Church, River Falls Wisconsin, February 2016.
- Theology Day Presentation on the Gospel of Mark, Charleston, S.C., February 2016.
- “The Gospels of Mercy,” Parish Mission and Retreat (Four Presentations), Lumen Christi Parish, February 2016.
- “Orthodoxy and Heresy in Early Christianity,” Westar Institute National Program, Washington, D.C., April 2016.
- Workshop on the Deacon as Preacher, Diocese of Sioux Falls, January 2017.