Student Conservation Tips
As a student body which cares about sustainability, help create a culture of sustainability by doing these simple things to cut waste and energy use.
- Ride the Link instead of driving to the other campus.
- Don't have a car to get into town? Or if you have one, is it parked far away? Try renting the fuel-efficient WeCars by the hour. They’re parked in very convenient locations on both campuses.
- Turn on your computer's energy savings settings. Screen savers don't save energy; have the monitor shut off after 5-10 minutes and go to standby after 20 minutes
- Turn off lights everywhere when they aren't in use!
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with CFL's
- Plug your electronics into a power strip and turn it off when you aren't using it
- Recycle, you can power a CFL for 10 hours with the energy it takes to make a new aluminum can
- Take shorter showers at a lower temperature
- Turn your heat down a degree or two
- Unplug those mini-fridges!
- Use task lighting and turn off your overhead lights
- Unplug things in your room when you aren't using them, especially chargers
- Take the stairs
- Do laundry only when you have a full load
- Wash on cold- your clothes will last longer and dryer temperatures reach 190 degrees
- Make sure all windows are locked shut, and contact Facilities/Physical Plant if you are too hot or too cold