Sustainability at Saint John’s
As a Benedictine institution, we take seriously our commitment to stewardship and to incorporating the goals of sustainability into every facet of campus life. As a university, we have the duty to prepare students to be responsible citizens, prepared to meet the social, ethical, local and global challenges of today. To these ends, the Office of Sustainability was created to help connect the Saint John’s community with the information and tools necessary to make our institution sustainable for generations to come.
The Office of Sustainability at SJU is committed to the effort of creating a sustainable campus by focusing on the triple bottom line: equity, economy and the environment. The direction and knowledge for this effort comes from the Saint John’s Sustainable Campus Committee and our sustainability staff.
2014 First-Year Energy Challenge
St. Thomas Hall won the weeklong competition this year! The annual event encourages the two first year residence halls at Saint John's to save electricity. The building which reduces electricity usage the most is the winner. Congratulations and thanks to all of the participants in both Mary and Thomas halls! Complete results can be found here. The campus-wide energy challenge will be held in February, so get ready!
- The Sustainable Revolving Loan fund at SJU has saved over 121,800 kWh, 81 tons carbon Dioxide, and $34,000 since it's beginning in 2010.
- The SJU Office of Sustainability hired Jacob Saffert in May 2014 for the sustainability fellow position during the 2014-15 academic year.
- The Office of Sustainability implemented the Energy Corps surge protector project during spring 2014 in an effort to reduce phantom energy.
- Stephen Johnson was able to see the first picking of lettuce arrive at the Refectory from the new Winter Greenhouse.
- Zimride, an online carpooling program, is available to students.
- The power plant at St. John's no longer burns coal. The decision to remove the coal boilers has drastically reduced our carbon emissions.
Office of Sustainability