What you can bring
**No items on this list are provided to students and all are optional based on personal preference**
- Sheets and Mattress Cover (extra long or deep pocket twin)
**Linens can also be purchased through Residence Hall Linens, an outside company.
- Heating pad/electric blanket
- TV, Cable Cord
Satellite dishes are not allowed in any residence area. The student radio station, KJNB, operates through the cable system.
- Small Refrigerator, 4.5 cubic ft or smaller
Full size refrigerators are not permitted. Each resident is allowed to bring one small refrigerator.
Students can rent a school-approved fridge or MicroFridge from Bedloft.com
- Power Strips - The only types of extension cords allowed in residential areas are surge protector devices or extension cords with a circuit breaker/fuse built in; These must have U.L. labels on them.
- Hangers for Clothes
- Posters/Pictures/Decorations (see wall hanging restrictions)
- Cups/Mugs/Glasses/Plates/Bowls (Microwavable)
- Microwave - microwave and cooking facilities are available in each residence hall, but microwaves are allowed in student rooms
Students can rent a school-approved MicroFridge from Bedloft.com
- Coffee maker
- Napkins/Paper towels
- Snacks: Candy, Chips, Popcorn, etc.
- Alarm Clock
- Clothes Basket
- Hand Soap
- Laundry Soap
- Iron/Ironing board
- First Aid Kit
- Medicines: cold/allergy medicines, antacids, etc.
- Toiletries and a Carrying Container
- Shower Sandals (Flip-Flops work well)
- Shaver/Shaving supplies
All student rooms offer both wired and wireless access to the university network. Computer labs are available throughout the residence halls and the campus area.
- Desk Lamp
- Pens/Pencils/Pencil Sharpener
- Folders/Notebooks/3-Ring Binders
- Post-It Notes
- Highlighter Markers
- Stapler and Staples
- Note Cards
- Paper Clips
- Rubber Bands
- Glue/Glue Stick
- Three-Hole Paper Punch
- Reference Books (Dictionary, Thesaurus, etc.)
- White Out
Many students bring futons, sofas and chairs. Please note that students are not allowed to remove University furniture from their rooms. Please plan accordingly.
Plants add color to a room and help reduce odors. A healthy assortment of plants in a room makes it come alive. If you don't have a "green thumb" consider plants that require low maintenance. Check with your local green house to find out what plants do well in a residence hall room. The Bookstore and the university green house also sell plants. Watch for posters advertising plants sales from these establishments.
Cooking in the Room
Cooking, other than the preparation of snacks, is restricted to areas with kitchens. Stoves are available in all residence halls. Students living in the residence halls are required to be on a meal contract program.
- Air conditioners - air conditioners are not permitted in any residence halls
- Sandwich makers (i.e. George Foreman Grills)
- Weapons of any kind, including toy guns, are not allowed on the St. John's campus
- Lofts/Bunks - homemade lofts or lofts from outside vendors are not permitted
Students who wish to loft their bed can rent one from Bedloft.com
- Pets, with the exception of fish, are not allowed in any residence on campus
Students may have aquariums in their rooms, but are reminded that security locks are placed on all residences during extended vacations, making it difficult for anyone to enter a room to feed fish. If you plan to set up an aquarium please keep this in mind.
- Valuable items (i.e. jewelry, large sums of money)
Campus Fire Safety Information
The following items are prohibited in residence halls. Failure to comply will result in the immediate confiscation of such items for the remainder of the school year. Individuals may retrieve confiscated items at the end of the school year by arranging a time with the Fire Chief.
- No lava lamps allowed in rooms
- No extension cords without surge protection built in.
- No multi-plug adapters allowed
- No halogen lamps or bulbs
- Power strips may not be piggy backed (attaching one to the other)
- No candles (burned or unburned) or candle holders
- No incense or incense holders
- No fireworks of any kind
- No heating units with exposed heating elements (i.e. space heater, hot plate, etc.)
- There can be no storage within 18" of sprinkler heads, this includes beds
- Nothing can be hung from sprinkler piping or heads
- Tampering with any fire appliance will result in a fine.
Such appliances include, but are not limited to:
- smoke detectors
- sprinkler piping
- standpipe connections
Grills are not allowed in any campus residence, decks or lounges at any time. This includes charcoal, lighter fluid and any size propane tanks.
For more detailed Fire Safety policies and procedures, click the link below.