Year Built: 1959
In the mid 1940s, St. John's University had difficulty meeting the housing needs for all students that desired to live on campus. St. Mary Hall, completed in 1951, offered a temporary solution, but as the college enrollment rose, local facilities were once again taxed and more than a hundred students were forced to live off campus. St. John's University constructed its third dormitory: St. Thomas Aquinas Hall, more commonly known as Tommy Hall. St. John's brothers and laymen of the abbey carpenter shop made contributions to St. Thomas Hall's dormitories by making the desks and bookcases in each double room. St. Thomas Hall was blessed and dedicated on August 8, 1959.
For a more complete history of St. Thomas Aquinas Hall, please visit the Saint John's Archives
Available Room Types:
Dressers are not provided; however, closets do have shelves for storage. The shelves are very deep.
Note: No University furnishings may be removed from rooms or apartments. Storage of University furniture outside of an assigned residence area is not allowed.
These closets have 5 shelves. They are spaced roughly 8.5 inches apart, they are 18" deep and 12.5" wide. Starting about chest level, the shelves stop and there is an open area 41 inches tall. This space is the same depth and width as the shelves, just much taller. There is also a small rod across the top of this open space for possibly more hanger space, but probably not much.
We encourage students to invest in storage containers that can be used as pull out drawers on the shelves. Under the bed storage containers are also useful.
Mattresses - All mattresses are extra long (39" x 80")
The basement floor of Tommy Hall also houses Life Safety Services and the student recreational lounge.