Insurance Requirements for Contractors
The policy of the Saint John's Physical Plant requires that all contractors, consultants, service providers, and/or vendors doing business with the OSB/SJU Physical Plant maintain general auto and liability insurance, as well as worker's compensation insurance.
Typical insurance requirements are included on the "Request for Certificate of Insurance" form, though these limits may be increased for high risk jobs, as required by contract.
The standard minimum insurance requirements are also listed below:
- The Order of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University must be included as additional insureds on the policy.
- Policy shall be endorsed to waive all rights of subrogation against the Order of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University.
- Minimum insurance limits for work on the Saint John's campus are listed below:
- Worker's Compensation - State Statutory
- Employer's Liability- Bodily injury by accident - $500,000 each accident; $500,000 per disease policy limit; $500,000 per employee.
- Commercial General Liability - (including without limitation Premises Operations; Independent Contractors (let or sublet work); Contractual Liability; Products and Completed Operations, Personal Injury and Advertising Liability; Incidental Medical Malpractice; Amendment of Pollution Exclusion - hostile fire; Cross-liability and severability of interest); Minimum Coverage $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit per occurrence and a $2,000,000 general and products/completed operations aggregate limits.
- Commercial Auto Coverage - $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit per occurrence. (This policy shall cover all contractor furnished, owned, hired, and non-owned vehicles, including the loading and unloading thereof.)
- Umbrella Excess Liability - (following form on Employer's Liability, Comprehensive General Liability and Commercial Automobile Coverages). Minimum Coverage - $5,000,000 Minimum Limit of liability coverage.
- The limits of liability shall not be reduced by the costs of defense.
- The Contractor shall maintain the required insurance in force continuously from before commencing work for a period at least twelve months after final completion, or for such longer period as may otherwise be required by the Contract Documents.
- If greater limits or coverages are required elsewhere in the Contract Documents, the Contractor shall provide those coverages and limits as well.
- The Contractor's Contractual Liability Insurance shall cover the Contractor's obligations and any other contractual defense or indemnity obligations of the Contractor under the Agreement or Contract.
- Should any portion of the above be cancelled before the expiration date, the issuing insurer(s) will agree via endorsement to mail 30 days written notice to SJU/OSB.
Please note in your records that the Order of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University is an additional insured and should be notified by you of renewals, cancellations, or changes in coverage.