Meal Plan Options
Below are the 2014 - 2015 meal plan options that are available for SJU students. Being on a meal plan provides several advantages for the college-bound student.
• A variety of healthy food choices! It is more than fast food; it will provide good fuel for you to study and work on the GPA.
• Time saver! By letting us do the shopping, cooking and washing of dishes, it will provide valuable time for you.
• Excellent value for your money!
• Four convenient campus locations to dine at and use their meal plan: Two all-you-care-to-eat dining spaces (SJU Refectory and CSB Gorecki Center) and two locations that provide for a la carte and snack purchases.
Students living in a Residence Hall: The University requires that all SJU students living in Thomas, Mary, Benet, Bernard, Boniface, Patrick, Joe Hall and Greg House participate in a residential housing meal plan. First-year,sophomore and other upper- class students, who live in the above locations, are automatically assigned the Full Comfort Plan, Plus 250 Dining Bucks plan. Students have the choice to change to the Full Block plan, at no additional cost, or choose to sign up for a Continuous/Unlimited plan, which does have an additional cost.
Students living in On Campus Apartment Style living: Students are automatically assigned the Full Comfort Plan, Plus 250 Dining Bucks plan. Students are encouraged to be on a meal plan, however, a meal plan is not a requirement, and Apartment Style living students have the ability to change to any plan, including a NO meal plan option.
Students living Off campus: Students are assigned to a No Plan. Students are encouraged to be on a meal plan, and off campus students have the ability to sign up for any of the meal plan options.
Comfort Plan: This plan gives students the opportunity to eat an average of fifteen (15) meals per week. The Comfort plan has 10 Meal Passes every week plus 250 Dining Bucks for the entire semester. $2320 semester
• Dining Bucks allow students to purchase additional Refectory meals (2.50 points per meal) Dining Bucks give students the flexibility to eat an average of 5 additional Refectory meals every week. Students can also use their Bucks to purchase snack food and beverage items in SJU Sexton Commons, Johnny Java and McGlynn's. Eating locations include the SJU Student Refectory Dining Room, Sexton Commons, or CSB Gorecki Center and McGlynn's.
• This meal plan is designed for those students who do not wish to manage their meals over the entire semester but would rather eat a fixed number of meals per week. The Comfort plan meals may be used anytime from Monday morning through Sunday evening. Any meals left unused after Sunday evening will NOT carry over to the following week.
Full Block Plan: This plan gives students the opportunity to eat an average of fifteen (15) meals per week. The Block plan has 160 meal passes for the entire semester plus 250 Dining Bucks for the entire semester. $2320 semester
• Dining Bucks allow students to purchase additional Refectory meals (2.5 points per meal) Dining Bucks give students the flexibility to eat an average of 5 additional Refectory meals every week. Students can also use their Bucks to purchase snack food and beverage items in SJU Sexton Commons, Johnny Java and McGlynn's. Eating locations include the SJU Student Refectory Dining Room, Sexton Commons, or CSB Gorecki Center and McGlynn's.
• This meal plan is designed for those students who want to manage their meals over the entire semester, rather than eat a fixed number of meals per week.
Continuous/Unlimited Plan: This plan allows unlimited entry to the Refectory or the Gorecki Dining Center 7 days a week during designated operating hours. Continuous Pass Meal Punches used at the Refectory or Gorecki Dining Center are designated for dine in only. $2587 semester
• Additional Daily Meal Punch - This plan includes 1 meal punch per day that can be used at the Retail Operations of Sexton of McGlynn's for 1 designated combo meal per day (al a carte and retail items excluded).
• Dinning Bucks - This includes 75 Dining Bucks per semester that can be used at any of the dining locations.
• Guest Passes - Ideal for visiting family and friends, this plan includes 4 free guest passes per semester that can be used at the Refectory or the Gorecki Dining Center.
Apartment-style Plans: Additional plans available to students in apartment style living housing.
Block 80 plan: This plan gives students the opportunity to eat an average of six to seven meals per week. The plan has 80 meals plus 200 Dining Bucks for the entire semester. $1006 semester
• Dining Bucks: This plan includes 200 Dining Bucks which can be used to purchase food and beverage items at cash operations or for additional discounted meals during the semester in the SJU Student Refectory Dining Room or The Gorecki Center. Discounted meals: Breakfast -6.50 Lunch -7.00 Brunch and Dinner -9.00
Block 30 plan: Plan gives apartment students the opportunity to eat an average of two all you care to eat meals per week. This plan has 30 meals plus 50 Dining Backs. $357 semester
• Dining Bucks: This plan includes 50 Dining Bucks which are convenient when purchasing food and beverage items in the al a carte dining areas at SJU and CSB. The use of Dining Bucks at all you care to eat locations is at regular meal rates. (no discounting)
Punch, Meal, or Bucks?
It is understandable that with words like "Punch" and "Dining Bucks" floating around that you might not understand just how a meal plan works. You are probably asking yourself, "Ok, but what does it mean?"
What are Punches or Weekly Meal Passes?
A Punch or Meal Pass allows a student entrance into the SJU Refectory and the Gorecki Dining/Conference at CSB, the two all-you-care-to-eat dining halls on campus or for weekly meal specials at the cash operations. All food must be consumed in the dining halls. If you are on the Comfort plan, weekly meal pass balances must be used by Sunday evening of each week. They do not transfer to the next week. During the weeks when school breaks are scheduled, the meal plan will be prorated to reflect those shortened weeks.
Block meal plans: If a Spring Semester meal plan is purchased, then meal passes remaining at the end of the fall semester will rollover to your Spring meal plan. If no meal plan is purchased in the Spring, then all Meal passes must be used before the end of Fall semester. All Meal plans, meals and Dining Bucks, expire at the end of the academic year.
What are Dining Bucks ?
Dining Bucks are included in the meal plan to give students added meal flexibility. Each Dining Buck has the same value as $1.00. Dining Bucks may be used at dining locations on the CSB or the SJU campus. Students can use their Dining Bucks to purchase additional meals beyond the weekly passes or they can be used to purchase individual drinks or snacks. If need be, you may add additional Dining Bucks to your food account throughout the semester.
If a Spring Semester meal plan is purchased, then Dining Bucks remaining at the end of the fall semester will rollover to your spring semester meal plan. If no meal plan is purchased in the spring, Dining Bucks must be used by the end of fall semester. All Meal plans, meals and Dining Bucks, expire at the end of the academic year.
Student Meal Plan and Dining Bucks Refund Policy:
All Dining Buck deposits are added to a student campus meal plan. Dining Bucks purchased are non-refundable. Meal Plans expire at 12:00am (Midnight) the morning after the last final in the Spring Semester; Meal Passes and Dining Bucks must be used by the end of the academic year. Any remaining Meal Passes and Dining Bucks will be completely forfeited at that time and is not eligible for a refund, rollover, gift card or anything that holds value or that may be used in exchange for goods/services.
Exemption for a Resident from the meal contract may be authorized by the Director of Dining Service in consultation with the Dean of Students, Director of Residential Life, or designee. Medical or extra-ordinary circumstance documentation is needed if you are applying to reduce or be exempt from the meal plan.