Johnball Club Constitution
The Johnball Club Constitution
Article I: Name and Purpose
Section 1: Name
The name of the club shall be The St. Ben's/ St. John's Johnball Club, referred to as the Johnball Club.
Section 2: Purpose/Mission
It is the mission of the Johnball Club to introduce Bennies and Johnnies to the great game of Johnball, which provides a drug-free, alcohol-free, anger-free, all-inclusive sport where students and faculty of every skill level and demographic can enjoy the benefits of teamwork, sportsmanship, fun, and creativity in a non-judgmental environment. Johnball's culture is fundamentally built on Christian and Benedictine values, and all players of Johnball will benefit from a sport that truly creates a better person and athlete of each and every competitor.
Section 3: Affiliation
The Johnball Club is affiliated with the International Johnball Association. The International Johnball Association has no jurisdiction or authority over the Johnball Club, but controls, maintains, and disseminates the rules of Johnball to all who play it.
Article II: Membership
Section 1: Eligibility for Membership
The club shall be open to membership or participation from any student attending CSBSJU. No one will ever be turned away from a Johnball match. To be a member, one must play in a Johnball match, have express intent to compete again in the future, and inform the President about his/her intent to be a member, when he/she will then be added by the treasurer and inducted by the president.
Section 2: Voting Member Criteria
Voting rights shall be granted to all participating members.
Section 3: Removal of Members
- a) First Offense: If a member of the Johnball Club does something so heinous that Johnball matches are disrupted or postponed due to his/her behavior, the offender will be warned.
- b) Second Offense: If a second infraction is committed, the officers will collaborate, and if deemed necessary, remove the member.
- c) Third Offense: If a third offense occurs, the member will be removed.
- d) Removed members can appeal all decisions to the officers, to be reviewed and voted on by the officers, with a two-thirds majority necessary for removal.
Article III: Officers
Section 1: Officer Qualifications
All officers must be a member of the student body of CSBSJU and have been a member of the Johnball Club for at least one semester, attended over 50% of matches the semester previous to election.
*If a member has missed the previous semester due to study abroad or some other excused conflict, he/she is still eligible to be an officer, if the he/she has been in the club the semester before absence and attended over 50% of matches that semester.
Section 2: Elected Officer
- Will facilitate all games of Johnball.
- Will strive to promote the core values of Johnball during matches.
- Will induct and introduce new members.
- Will represent the Johnball Club at all JCB hearings that require our participation.
- President (1)
- Will assist the president in his/her tasks, as well as perform all duties and actions of the President when the President is absent.
- Will represent the Johnball Club at any Senate or Co-Funding Board hearings that require our participation.
- Will collect, maintain, count, and protect all funds that the Johnball Club may receive or use.
- Keeping records of all the receipts and expenditures of the club.
- She/he shall be responsible for the monthly audits and any special audits, which will be reported to either or both Senate Club Auditor.
- She/he shall keep all official minutes of the business meetings of the club and notify members of the regular and special meetings.
- Apply for funding from the Co-Funding Board. Assume responsibility for the following Funding Board rules that apply to requesting allocations, funding, and institutional financial policies.
- She/he shall keep maintain and update the club members list, accounting for those both joining and leaving the club.
Director of fun and good times (2-3)
- Will strive to maintain levels or fun, sportsmanship, teamwork, and energy during Johnball matches, to provide a good example to other players and thus enhance the game.
- The directors of fun and good times will be appointed by the president and will be managed and critiqued by the president.
Supervisor of snacks and non-alcoholic beverages (1-2)
- Will supervise and maintain supplies of snacks and non-alcoholic beverages for enjoyment during Johnball matches.
- Will work with the treasurer to get funds for the snacks and alcoholic beverages, and give all receipts to the treasurer.
- The Supervisor of snacks and non-alcoholic beverages will be appointed by the president and will do his/her duties as the president asks.
Surveyor of terrain and battlefields (1-2)
- In charge of scouting and selecting appropriate locations to play Johnball matches.
- Coming up with ideas for new places to play Johnball, as well as getting any necessary permissions for playing fields that may otherwise be off-limits.
- The surveyor will be appointed by the president and will report back to her/him with all plans and developments.
Section 3: Vacancy of officer
If a director of fun times, supervisor of snacks, or surveyor of terrain vacates his/her post, the president will appoint a new officer to fill the position. If the president, co-president, or treasurer vacates her/his position, a general election will be held to appoint a new officer to fill the position.
*If an officer vacates due to study abroad, the Johnball Club will follow the same procedure, but for the next semester the returning member will have priority for the position over his/her replacement.
Section 4: Removal of officers
If an officer shows poor behavior or fails to attend to his/her duties, after two official written warnings, the existing officers may bring his/her removal up to a group vote, where two-thirds of members must be present and a two-thirds majority vote of members is necessary for removal.
Section 5: Appeal of Removed Officers
An officer may argue her/his case to all members of the club before they vote for/against removal, but there are no removed officer appeals after a successful two-thirds vote.
Article IV: Elections
Section 1: Nomination Process
All interested candidates can make themselves known to the existing officers in person or by nomination from another member. Interested officers must make themselves known two weeks prior to a scheduled election. The president will decide the election dates and the treasurer will notify the members of all regular and vacancy elections.
Section 2: Election
By April 1st, the members will convene to appoint officers for the following school year. The potential officers will be announced, and a ballot will be made and handed out, to be totaled and reviewed by the treasurer. The potential officer must received two-thirds (provided that two-thirds of members are present) of the votes to be appointed. If a two-thirds majority is not reached, the officers with the lowest vote counts will be removed from the ballot and a re-vote will be cast. If there are only two potential officers and neither can obtain a two-thirds majority, the officers may give inspirational speeches to the assembly to try to gain votes. If a two-thirds majority is still not reached, the existing officers will convene and choose one of the candidates for appointment.
Article V: Advisors
Section 1: Selection
Will be a faculty or staff member who has knowledge of Johnball, and has played Johnball or intends to play Johnball in the future. The officers will nominate an advisor of their choosing.
Section 2: Duties
The advisor's duties will be to attend at least one match per semester, and be present to provide organizational and financial guidance for the officers and regular club members.
Article VI: Meetings
Section 1: Regular Matches
Matches will be scheduled on a weekly basis based on availability of players, with a goal of a weekly match. Matches will be advertised at least 4 days in advance, by a combination of email to all students and reminders on the Johnball Facebook Page.
Section 2: Special Meetings
Any Johnball club business or votes that need to be addressed will be decided on by the officers and announced to the members before the next match is scheduled. All votes and Johnball Club business will occur before matches begin, with the President establishing content and protocol.
Section 3: Executive Meetings
The officers will meet to discuss every two weeks any club news, address any complaints, and collaborate on ways to improve gameplay or club business.
Section 4: Parliamentary Authority
Meetings will be run based on the protocol decided by the president.
Section 5: Quorum
Two-thirds of voting members are required to pass a vote.
Article VII: Committees:
There will not be any committees in the Johnball Club.
Article VIII: Finances
Section 1: Co-Funding Board
Yes, our Club will apply for CFB Monies. If allocated our club will follow all CFP and institutional regulations.
Section 2: Honorariums
No club member or officer will receive any honorarium or stipend.
Section 3: Dues
No dues will be charged to the members of the Johnball Club.
Article IX: Amendments
Section 1: Ratification
All amendments will be approved by the officers, and then voted on at meetings consisting of more than two-thirds of existing members. A two-thirds majority is necessary for ratification.
Section 2: Submittal to Department of Student Activities and Joint Club Board
All changes to the constitution must be submitted to the Department of Student Activities and Joint Club Board.
The Johnball Club admits students without regard to their race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and other activities, generally accorded or made available to members of the organization.
The Johnball Club considers hazing to be a degrading and destructive activity which is inconsistent with the standards of this student organization. The Johnball Club recognizes the dignity of every person and opposes all forms of hazing.