Please update your web browser or disable Compatibility View.

FAQ Registration Information

Online Registration Tips:

Know your Registration time

  • Registration times are assigned according to the number of earned credits at CSB/SJU.  Graduate students (SOT) & Seniors register first, juniors, sophomores, and finally freshmen. 
  • After all current students have had the opportunity to register, new students and non-degree seeking students are allowed to register for courses.  For Fall term, registration will begin on August 1 & for Spring term, the date is December 1.

Know your Registration PIN

  • Your faculty will give you this number at your advisement session.  Please remember to keep this number in a safe place.  This number will allow you to add/drop classes through the first 4 days of the semester. 

Know Banner Web Self Service

Banner Web Self Service is the system you use to register for your classes online. See instructions below:

    • On the CSB/SJU homepage (, click on "Tools" at the top of the page and then "Banner Self-Service" on the left side. 
    • Enter Secure Area (CSB or SJU), enter your BANNER ID and your WSC (web security code).
    • Once you are logged in, Click on the "Student" tab across the top of the page
    • Click on Registration ->Add or Drop Classes" on the left hand side of the page
    • Select the proper semester then enter the registration PIN you received from your academic advisor then enter the CRN's of the courses.

General Registration questions:

How do I register for a course that has a prereq that I completed somewhere other than CSB/SJU?

  • If you took a course at another college which is a required prerequisite of a CSB/SJU course, you must contact the Regsitrar's Office each semester to be registered. 

How do I register for a course that has a restriction or prereq that I have not met but feel that I am qualified to take?

How do I register for a course that is closed due to enrollment limit being met?

How do I take a course for S/U grading?

  • Arrangements for this non-honor point grading option should be made with your professor at the beginning of the course.  If coursework grades average below a C under the S/U option, the grade U (Unsatisfactory) will be given with no credit earned.  The grade S or U, once turned in by the instructor, is not subject to later change.
  • Only one course per semester may be taken for S/U grading. 
  • First-year students and all students on academic probation may not take the S/U option except for a course in which only S/U grading is available.  See more specific information regarding taking courses for S/U grading in the official course catalog.

How do I "audit" a course?  What happens if I "audit" a course?   

  • Students intending to audit a course (earn no credit) are required to complete an Audit Change of Status Form during the first week of class.  Auditors are expected to attend all regular classes.  A student who first registers for credit may change to auditor status any time during the first four class weeks.  A student who first enrolls for auditor status may change to credit status only during the first class week.
  • Special note:  Courses audited are not included in determining the total credits earned toward a major or degree or the cumulative grade point average.  However, the credit value of any course audited is computed in the assessment of tuition.

How do I register for an Independent Study (ILP)?

  • Students wishing to do an independent study should register for DNA 271 or DNA 371 for 1 to 4 credits.  They should work with a faculty moderator & develop a course of study.  This plan should be completed through our online Independent Learning Project webform which is available on the Registrar's Office website under online forms.  Once the completed ILP form is submitted to the Registrar's Office, the DNA 271/371 will be dropped from your record & replaced with the actual ILP registration.
  • NOTE:  First Year students are not eligible.  Please see guidelines for developing an individual learning project before proceding.

How do I register for an internship?

Students wishing to do an internship should contact the Experiential Learning & Community Engagement office.  Once it is determined that you will procede with an internship, you should register for DNA 397 for the appropriate amount of credits.  Once all paperwork is completed & submitted, the Registrar's Office will drop the DNA 397 registration & replace it with the actual internship registration. 

How do I register for a course at SCSU under the Tri-College agreement?

  • Fill out the Tri-College Cross-registration Request form online (see online forms).  The registrar will determine whether space is available and confirm registration.  See Tri-College Registration - SCSU for more information.

How do I take a graduate level course for undergraduate credit?

What is the maximum amount of credits I can take per semester without an extra charge?   

  • A student is considered full-time if enrolled in 12 to 18 credits during the fall or spring semesters.  Enrollment in more than 18 credits is considered an overload.  Contact Student Accounts for current information regarding additional charge per credit for enrollment in more than 18 credits.

What happens if I need to register for more than 18 credits in any given semester?   

  • Credit totals of 20 or more credits requires the student to seek the approval of an advisor in the Academic Advising Office of their respective schools.  The Banner Web Self Service registration system will not allow the entry of more than 19 credits without this approval
  • Students whose cumulative grade point average is below 2.00 may not register for an overload.  Students in good academic standing (gpa above 2.00) may register for a maximum of 1 overload credit (19 credits overall) without approval.

What if I repeat a course?  What happens?   

  • A course which has been failed may be repeated for credit.  Courses which have been passed may not be repeated for credit.  They may, however, be repeated for additional honor points.  In the latter case, although the original grade is not removed from the transcript, it is the higher grade which is computed in the GPA.  Credit for a course can be earned only once.