Lab work is central to everything we do. If you decide to pursue a degree with us, you will spend valuable time in our labs. In addition to the required research project during your final year, our system will expose you to lab work with most of our faculty at some point during your studies.
Overview of Program
The physics major features:
- An optional applied physics concentration which enables students to focus on such topics as electronics and optics.
- Courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, optics, thermodynamics, particle physics and relativity.
- High-end computer workstations for large numerical calculations and visualization problems.
- Learn more about our program.
- Students get training in many areas of research because our faculty members specialize in cutting edge areas of physics.
- Students work closely with faculty in their senior-year thesis project.
- The department is tightly linked with the dual-degree engineering program, a way to pursue your engineering degree during your third or fourth year.