Kaarin Johnston, Ph.D.
Office: BAC, A182, CSB
- Ph.D. in Speech/Theater, University of Southern Illinois
- M.A. in Theater, University of South Dakota
- B.A. In English/History/Theater, Cornell College
- Drama Form
- Theater History I & II
- American Drama
- Senior Seminar
- Modern Dramatic Literature
- Theater Audience
- Creative Drama
- Honors Program Classes
Research and teaching interests:
- Dr. Johnston teaches dramatic literature and theory, theater history, directing, and using drama as a pedagogical tool. She directs two plays a year at CSB/SJU. Right now, one of her research interests is Theology--she wants to develop plays for young people that teach information from the Bible and also teach about Jewish history. Another of Dr. Johnston's main interests is the Holocaust. She has a special interest in the use of Fine Arts to promote peace, and she often directs plays which touch on this subject. She also hopes to do work with students on special role-playing techniques as preparation for mediation or for finding peaceful solutions to conflict.
- Dr. Johnston is the Faculty Advisor for the CSB Senate.
Recommended advisor for: students interested in Peace Studies and the Fine Arts. Dr. Johnston would enjoy working with Peace Studies students on theater/art/music projects that celebrate human abilities to find peaceful solutions to potentially dangerous differences.