Volunteer with us!
Saint John's Outdoor University and the Abbey Arboretum rely on a dedicated crew of volunteers for all of our work. For most jobs, experience is not required, but enthusiasm and an interest in the environment definitely are!
Have a group interested in service-learning? Sign up for one of the opportunities below or contact us for other options.
Fall 2017 Volunteer Opportunities - Wednesdays 1:15-3:30 p.m.
(Signing up is helpful but not required)
- All the events take place between 1:15-3:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
- No experience necessary! Age: 18 and older
- We will provide any tools/gears needed for the project, but you are welcome to bring your own.
Wednesday, Oct. 25
- Stake, mat, and cut competing vegetation back from oak seedlings in Clay Piles deer exclosure by Sugar Shack/Prep Fields
- Please wear jeans or tough pants and long sleeves - working in raspberry/prickly ash areas
- You will need to provide your own transportation to the Sugar Shack/Prep Fields - look for a Ford Explorer
- Optional Items: lopper, hand pruner, gloves, water bottle, insect repellent
This fall we are hoping to do some prescribed fires to replenish the nutrients in the soil and fend off invasive species. We will have various shifts with jobs for everyone! No experience is necessary to volunteer, but volunteers must be 18 years or older. For more information visit the prescribed burn page and please fill out the prescribed burn volunteer form if you are interested.