Spring Birding Day
Saturday, May 19, 2018
Meet in room 150, New Science Center
Register for your choice of the morning and/or afternoon sessions. Binoculars are available if needed. Dress for the weather - we go rain or shine!
- $15 - Outdoor U Members & Audubon Members
- $20 - Non-Members
- Cost includes guided birding walks, continental breakfast at 8 a.m. and buffet lunch at noon.
- 5:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. Birding in the Abbey Arboretum
- 8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Continental breakfast, New Science 150
- 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Birding in the Abbey Arboretum
- 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. Lunch (included in registration price)
- 1:30 - 4:00 p.m. Optional guided trip to see the birds at the Albany wastewater ponds.
Pre-registration preferred, but not required.
Pre-register by NOON on Friday, May 18. NO REFUNDS after noon on Friday May 18, except in case of event cancelation.
- Online registration form
secure credit card transaction
- Walk-ins welcome!
Saint John's Outdoor University brings you a day of hiking through an Audubon designated Important Bird Area in Minnesota during peak migration! In the morning, we'll stay on the 2,500 acres of Saint John's Abbey Arboretum and do all our birding by walking. We have seen 100+ species in past years at Saint John's. Early risers will be stunned by the abundance of birds active early in the day.
Sitings in recent years have included: Gray-cheeked thrush, Cerulean warbler, Mourning warbler, Eastern towhee, Avocet, Harris sparrow and more! View an index of bird species that have been spotted at Saint John's, and print your own birding checklists.
(all tours start in Room 150 of the New Science Center - follow the signs)
5:30 a.m.–8 a.m.
Birding in small groups at Saint John's (e.g. Boardwalk-wetlands; Deep woods –Cerulean)
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
Continental Breakfast – Room 150 – New Science Center
8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Birding in small groups
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
All you can eat luncheon at the Saint John’s Refectory and group review of the birds seen, led by Bob Russell from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and SJU alum.
Birding to the Albany wastewater ponds with Bob Russell if there is any interest following lunch.