London and Paris: Creative Writing
London, England & Paris, France
May 22-June 7, 2014
- Attend a major musical production
- Visit Stonehenge and the birthplace of Shakespeare
- Visit the Tower of London and rise the London Eye
- Explore London's museums and attractions
- Eat amazing French food and see the Eiffel Tower
- Visit the Louvre and other famous museums
- Visit Notre Dame and other beautiful churches
Location: London, England & Paris, France
These two cities have inspired artists for centuries. What tales will they invite you to tell?
Course DescriptionSpend one week in London going to the theater, visiting the Tower of London and visiting the birthplace of Shakespeare. Then, it is on to Paris for a week, where we will eat croissants in the morning before seeing some of the greatest paintings and cathedrals ever created in the afternoon. You will also be able to explore these culturally rich cities on your own. Not only will you get great pictures, Facebook posts, and memories, but you will also be inspired to create your own stories, poems and essays. You will discover what so many travel writers have experienced before you-travel and writing go hand in hand.
London: The group will attend a musical theater performance in the theater capital of the world as well as visit museums, art galleries, and the Tower of London. In addition, the group will take a tour to Stonehenge and the birthplace of Shakespeare.
Paris: We will be immersing ourselves in the city of love, food, and art. We will visit the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, and Rodin's studio. We will also tour the awesome Notre Dame and the breathtaking Sainte Chapelle. And we will eat and eat some more. It will be a busy, but very exciting two weeks!
The estimated Program Fee per student is $3,800 plus the cost of 2 CSB/SJU credits at the reduced summer tuition rate (approximately $525 per credit).
This price includes:
- Round-trip international airfare from Minneapolis to London and from Paris back to Minneapolis
- Accommodations during the program
- Local transportation
- Admission to museums, cultural attractions, musical and theatre productions outlined in the itinerary.
The Program Fee does not include:
- Most meals
- Personal spending money
- Any activities not included with the program
London: The group will reside in the heart of London, near Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, and Buckingham Palace. Transportation is nearby, easy to navigate and included in the cost of the program.
Paris: The group will be staying at the Hotel Marignan while visiting Paris. This is located in the Latin Quarter; the stompong grounds of Paris' many great artists.
Betsy Johnson-Miller is the director of this program. In addition to teaching English and Communication courses, she is a writer who has published two books of poetry as well as a number of essays and two young adult novels. While she hasn't been back to London or Paris since her own days in college, she can't wait to visit these places again and see what words, stories, and images take a hold of her and her students.
- Contact Betsy Johnson-Miller
- This program is no longer accepting applications