Dr. Rachelle Larsen
Professor, Department of Nursing
firstname.lastname@example.org Office: Main 433 Phone: 320-363-5192
PhD in Nursing from the University of Minnesota, 2006
MS in Nursing from the University of Minnesota, 1997
BS in Nursing from Creighton University, 1988
Areas of Expertise
• Public Health Nursing
• Maternal/child health
• Cultural Competence
• Nursing Education
• Stearns County Public Health, Public health nurse/Employee health nurse
• St. Cloud Hospital, staff nurse - medical/surgical units
• Camp Friendship, Director of Nursing
• Immanuel Medical Center, Float nurse
• Baylor Medical Center, staff nurse - postpartum/nursery, GYN surgery
My research interests are in the area of public health nursing and public health student learning; cultural competence in the health care workforce, and enhancing student's cultural competence.
• Larsen, R., Reif, L., & Frauendienst, R. (2012). Baccalaureate Nursing Student's Intention to Choose a Public Health Career. Public Health Nursing, 29(5), 424-432.
• Larsen, R. & Plog, M. (2012). Effectiveness of Childbirth Classes for Increasing Self-Efficacy in Women and Support Persons. International Journal of Childbirth, 2(2), article 5.
• Larsen, R. & Zahner, S. (2011). The Impact of Web-delivered Education on Preceptor Role Self-efficacy and Knowledge in Public Health Nurses. Public Health Nursing, 28(4), 349-356.
• Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (2010). The Effectiveness of Cultural Immersion and Culture Classes for Enhancing Nursing Student Transcultural Self-efficacy. Journal of Nursing Education, 50(6), 350-354.
• Parsons, R. & Reif, L. (2010). Developing and measuring cultural competence in nursing students. From Jeffreys, M. (2010). Teaching Cultural Competence in Nursing and Health Care: Inquiry, Action, and Innovation (2nd Edition). New York: Springer Publishing.
• Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (April 2014). Evaluating Public Health Clinical. Poster session at University of Minnesota Nursing Research Day, Improving Quality Care through Patient and Family Centered Outcomes Research, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
• Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (July 2013). Measuring Cultural Competence. Podium presentation for the Nursing Research/Evidence Based Practice Brown Bag, St. Cloud Hospital. St. Cloud, MN.
• Larsen, R. & Reif, L. (April, 2012). Cultural Diversity in Perioperative Setting. Podium presentation at the Centracare Perioperative Care Conference. Perioperative Care! Renew, Refresh, Revive. St. Cloud, MN.
• Larsen, R., Simmons, J., Rickbeil, P. (May, 2012). Collaborative Evidence Based Project with Academia and Clinical Practice. Podium presentation at the 2012 QSEN National Forum, Innovation to Transformation. Tucson, AZ.
• Larsen, R., Simones, J., Schlepper, S., & Gilsdorf-Gracie, J. (2011, April). Wikis and EBP: Linking Academia and Practice. Poster session at University of Minnesota Nursing Research Day, Technology and Telehealth: Changing the Face of Nursing Research and Practice, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
• Larsen, R. (2010, October). Linking Education and Practice for Excellence in Public Health Nursing. Poster session at Nurse Educators Group (PNEG) 37th annual national conference, Gateway to Innovation and Creativity in Nursing Education, Baltimore, Maryland.
• Larsen, R. (2010, August). Linking Education and Practice for Excellence in Public Health Nursing. Poster session at the 13th Annual Public Health Nursing Conference, PHN Skills for the 21st Century, Stevens Point, Wisconsin.