The application process is competitive, and space is limited. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
Criteria are not listed by order of importance; all are considered as part of a holistic application review.
- GPA - minimum of 2.5*, unless there are special circumstances. Students who are otherwise well qualified may be accepted on a conditional basis pending acceptable academic performance for the current term. *NOTE: The Cork - Ireland program has a minimum GPA requirement of 2.9. The Northern Ireland program has a minimum GPA requirement of 3.2. For these 2 programs only you MUST be at the minimum requirement to apply, there are no exceptions.
- Quality of Study Abroad Application Essays and Resume.
- Quality of Study Abroad Interview.
- Letters of recommendation from the academic advisor, a faculty member, a non-faculty member, and a language instructor (if applicable).
- Language proficiency - if it is a program requirement. Note the program specific brochures for details.
- Qualified students from CSB/SJU receive preference over students with similar qualifications from other colleges and universities.
- Preference is given to qualified seniors, qualified juniors, and qualified sophomores, in that order.
- CSB/SJU students who have never been on a CSB/SJU sponsored semester program receive preference over students who have already participated in a CSB/SJU semester program. Previous short-term study abroad participation is not factored in these selection criteria.
- A disciplinary violation could affect acceptance to a study abroad program.
When a program is filled to capacity, a ranked waiting list of qualified students will be kept to fill any cancellations.
A student cannot be accepted to a program if he/she has not completed the application process.