Please update your web browser or disable Compatibility View.

Health Insurance

CSB/SJU policy requires each student to maintain enrollment in a health coverage plan through the student’s dependence on a family plan, an individually acquired policy, or a student plan made available by the CSB/SJU Counseling and Health Education office at CSB (tel: 320-363-5605) or the Health Center at SJU (tel: 320-203-2430). Health insurance coverage must be in place and in force throughout the student’s semester abroad.

It is the student’s personal responsibility to maintain insurance coverage and protection for any accident, disability, repatriation or any loss related to their person, property or activities throughout their participation in a study abroad program. The student, in consultation with his or her parents, is responsible for determining and acquiring the appropriate levels and applications of insurance coverages and policies. Students are responsible for any expenses not covered by any insurance coverage plans and policies.

All students on CSB/SJU semester and short-term study abroad programs will be issued a basic International Student ID Card (ISIC). The cost of the coverage is included with the application fee  which students pay when they submit their application to study abroad. One of the benefits of the ISIC Card is the emergency evacuation and repatriation of remains. This coverage is most important and not normally covered by most health insurance policies.

Finally, all participants are encouraged to check with their health insurance provider to confirm how coverage will apply while you are abroad. Become familiar with the coverage provisions, deductible items, and the process for making claims.

Normally when you are abroad, you will need to pay for your medical care before you leave the clinic or hospital even if you have adequate health insurance. In order to apply for reimbursement from your insurance company you will have to provide a copy of all the receipts and bills for your treatment just as you would at home. You can send the bills and receipts home to your parents so they can submit them to the insurance company for reimbursement. Be sure to keep anything the hospital or clinic or anyone else gives you regarding your medical care! It is very difficult to obtain this information once you have returned home.