IRS Data Retrieval
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool on www.fafsa.gov is currently unavailable. The Department of Education and the IRS are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. However, at this time, the IRS anticipates the online data tool will be unavailable for several weeks. Please consider doing Option 2.
Parents and students are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in the Financial Information section of the FAFSA. This Tool allows you to retrieve and transfer your income and tax information directly from the IRS into your FAFSA.
If you have already submitted your FAFSA, proceed as follows:
- Log into the student's FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov.
- Select "Make FAFSA Corrections" and proceed to the Financial Information section.
- In response to the question asking, "For 2015, have your parents completed their IRS income tax return?", select "Already completed".
- If you are able to answer "No" to each of the Data Retrieval tax status questions, click "Link to IRS"
- Complete the IRS Data Retrieval process to transfer parent 2015 IRS information into the student's FAFSA.
- Complete for both parent(s) and the student, if a return was filed.
- Sign with the FSA ID and Submit the FAFSA
Unable to use the Data Retrieval Tool?
You may request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and submit it to the CSB/SJU financial aid office. Complete for both the parent(s) and the student, if a return was filed.
To obtain a tax return transcript use one of the 2 methods described below:
- Online at www.irs.gov
- Under "Tools Menu", Click on “Get a Tax Transcript" link
- Select to retrieve your transcript online or by mail
- Be sure to request the “return transcript", not the “account transcript
- Call 800-908-9946
- Enter information as prompted
- Be sure to request the “return transcript", not the “account transcript”
Please note: If your FAFSA is selected for verification, your application will not be reviewed until the Data Retrieval process is completed or a tax return transcript is received.
College Of Saint Benedict
Financial Aid Office
37 S. College Avenue
St. Joseph, MN 56374-2099
||Saint John's University
Financial Aid Office
2850 Abbey Plaza
Collegeville, MN 56321
|Fax: (320) 363-6090
|email: [email protected]
||email: [email protected]