Environmental Studies Major
New majors should see the revised environmental studies major requirements.
The environmental studies major requires 53 credits.
Courses listed in BOLD are required.
Environmental Studies Major Requirements (PDF)
Environmental Studies Internship Guidelines (PDF)
GROUP ONE: Interdisciplinary Core - 17 credits required (17 credits max)
- ENVR 150: Introduction to Environmental Studies (4 credits)
- ENVR 215: Sustainability Workshop (2 credits)
- ENVR 220: Environmental Methods & Measurement (2 credits)
- ENVR 320: Research Colloquium (4 credits)
- ENVR 395: Research Seminar (4 credits)
- ENVR 397: Internship (1 credit) - Internship Guidelines
GROUP TWO: Natural Science - 12 credits required (12 credits max)
- ENVR 175: Environmental Science I: Earth Systems (4 credits)
- ENVR 275: Environmental Science II: Humans in the Environment (4 credits)
- ENVR 300G: Science of Global Climate Change (4 credits)
- BIOL 334: General Ecology (4 credits)
- BIOL 337: Aquatic Ecology (4 credits)
MAJOR ELECTIVES 24 credits required
Choose 3 courses from Group Three, 1 course from Group Four, plus 2 additional courses from either Group Three, Four, or Five.
GROUP THREE: Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies Electives - 12 credits required (20 credits max)
- ENVR 300C: Environmental Justice (4 credits)
- ENVR 300N: Conservation and Natural Resource Management (4 credits)
- ENVR 300Q: Environmental Health (4 credits)
- ENVR 310: Environmental Geography (4 credits)
- ENVR 311: Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (4 credits)
- ENVR 321: Sustainable Agriculture (4 credits)
GROUP FOUR: Disciplinary Humanities/Fine Arts Electives - 4 credits required (12 credits max)
- ENVR 200A: Environmental Art/Architecture (4 credits)
- COMM 309: Environmental Rhetoric (4 credits)
- HIST 360: U.S. Environmental History (4 credits)
- PHIL 322: Environmental Ethics (4 credits)
GROUP FIVE: Disciplinary Social Science Electives - 0 credits required (8 credits max)
- ENVR 300I: Environmental Anthropolgoy (4 credits)
- POLS 330: Environmental Politics/Policy (4 credits)
- PCST 354: Global Environmental Politics (4 credits)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR MAJORS:
- Students cannot take more than TWO 200-level courses in Groups Three through Four for credit toward the major.
- ENVR 200 and ENVR 300 Topics courses may be offered in any group (Two - Five).
- Additional courses not listed here may qualify for inclusion in any group as courses are developed. See your academic advisor with questions about specific courses.
- AP and IB test scores and other natural science courses will not be accepted for the ENVR 175/275 environmental science course sequence.