What can you do with a degree in English?
Outstanding speaking, writing, reading, and critical thinking skills lead our students to success. Our alumni pursue successful careers in marketing, education, law, medicine, non-governmental organizations, advocacy, speech pathology, editing and publishing, and more.
Here's what our graduates from 2010-2013 are doing and of those employed full-time, the job categories:
Career Resources and Testimonies
- Non-Profit Sector Careers
- Governmental Sector Careers
- Business and Corporate Sector Careers
- Publishing, Journalism, and Freelance Writing
- Law and Other Legal Careers
- Medicine and Other Health Professions
- Teaching, Library Science, and Education Administration
- Opportunities Abroad
- Graduate School
Consider some of the many internship opportunities available through CSB/SJU.
- "A demonstrated capacity to think critically, communicate clearly, and solve complex problems is more important than [a candidate's] undergraduate major." (Read the key findings of the AACU study here.)
- Service learning, internships, ILPs, and practicums also provide opportunities for real world experience throughout the major.
- Our pre-professional programs provide training for interviews and applications.
- View our graduate database to see what our recent grads are doing.
- Recent majors have accepted internships worldwide in places like Guatemala, Bahamas, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and China. English majors have won the Minnesota Public Radio Gary Eichten News Fellowship and served in volunteer programs like Teach for America.