Host Organizations and Site Supervisors
Thank you for your interest in hosting CSB|SJU students in academic internship experiences! As co-educators, we hope internship supervisors will involve interns in their work and provide critical experiential learning opportunities that increase understanding of concepts learned on-campus! In order for this to take place, you're asked to push students in challenging and meaningful tasks and to provide mentorship and feedback through regular evaluation. In return, your organization will benefit from the dedication of our talented and skilled students who'll bring fresh energy and perspective to projects and initiatives that are integral to your company's or non-profit's success.
An Internship is a Partnership!
In an internship for credit, the partnership is a three-way relationship between the faculty moderator, site supervisor and the student intern. Credits are arranged by the student through an agreement with a faculty moderator and the Assistant Director of Experiential Learning & Community Engagement. In an internship for which no credit is being earned, the partnership exists between the site supervisor and the student intern. An internship for credit is a structured, supervised experience that combines academic learning and career exploration in a professional work environment. Students gain hands-on experience, learn new skills, explore a profession, apply and test theories and methods learned in the classroom, and develop a working knowledge of the organization's structure and operations. Students arrange for the credits to be earned through an agreement with the faculty moderator and the Assistant Director of Experiential Learning & Community Engagement.
Benefits to your organization:
- Access to students with special skills and knowledge
- The opportunity to train new professional in your field and develop a pool of potential employees
- Assistance with special projects or a fresh perspective for on-going projects
- An opportunity to develop supervisory skills for your current staff
- A mutually beneficial partnership between your organization and CSB|SJU
- A walking billboard for your organization! When interns have a positive learning experience, they are enthusiastic spokespersons for the host organization
What is the role of Experiential Learning & Community Engagment Staff?
The ELCE staff acts as a liason between the student, college faculty, and the organization providing the internship exeperience. This involves monitoring the intern's progress, providing information, and receiving feedback from you!