The Elementary Education Program prepares candidates for becoming K-6 elementary teachers and attaining the K-6 elementary education license. This program includes both foundational coursework as well as a student teaching experience.
What You'll Gain
At the completion of this program, students will have accomplished:
- 100+ hours of field experiences
- An additional 600 hours during 16 weeks of student teaching
- A program approved by the Minnesota Board of Teaching and accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Opportunities for leadership through partnerships between CSB/SJU and local school(s) during Discover Your Future
Interested in the courses that this program includes? Check out the content (major) courses and education (department) courses here.
Admission to Elementary Education
Interested in the Elementary Education program? Learn about the application process to the department and how to prepare.
Adding Optional Endorsements
Endorsements allow students to expand their scope of teaching and provides additional benefits to districts seeking to most effectively utilize a teacher's assets. It also provides graduates with a wider range of teaching positions for which they are qualified to apply. Students take additional coursework, resulting in additional teaching licenses. Speak to your advisor early if interested in seeking an endorsement.
- Mathematics, grades 5-8
- World Languages & Cultures, grades K-8
- English, grades 5-8
- General Science, grades 5-8
Options for an endorsement in World Languages and Cultures include Spanish, German, or French.