Women's Expeditions Coordinator Position Description
Job Title: Women’s Expeditions Coordinator
Department/Agency: Sister Nancy Hynes Institute for Women’s Leadership
Length of Position: Currently hiring, Spring 2015
Hiring: Visit the student employment website to apply!
Function/Description of the Position:
Women’s Expeditions is a program designed to encourage women to take calculated physical risks, push their comfort zones, and test their limits in a wilderness or outdoor setting. In doing so, the program then allows women to reflect on those risks and encourage participants to apply their experience to their personal or professional lives.
Thus, the Women’s Expeditions Coordinator will need to visualize, coordinate, and complete several women’s only outdoor expeditions (of varying difficulty, length, type, and purpose) for the Academic Year. The position requires the ability to: work as a team member, to create and execute new trips and outdoor programs, and to evaluate completed expeditions. The Women’s Expeditions Coordinator will also be expected to perform basic office duties and assist visitors to the Institute.
The Women’s Expeditions Coordinator position is a great opportunity for students pursuing leadership experience in the outdoor world. The coordinator will be expected to handle the logistical planning and follow-through of all aspects of every trip. In addition, the Coordinator will lead each trip, as well as collaborate on programs with possible groups such as the Peer Resource Program, CSB Campus Recreation, etc. Additionally, this is a great leadership opportunity for a student interested in women’s development and leadership. The Women’s Expeditions Coordinator will learn about issues that are prevalent to women, will develop the skill to plan and execute wilderness experiences, will build valuable networking capabilities, and will enhance their ability to work more effectively in a team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, complete, and evaluate three outdoor expeditions
- Create yearly schedule of trips
- Research, budget, and manage expedition logistics
- Work with Public Relations Coordinator to promote Expeditions
- Work within institutional guidelines when leading off-campus expeditions
- Work closely in collaboration with the SJU Arboretum
- Greet, assist and direct visitors to the Institute
- Attend regular staff and advisory board meetings
- Communicate with on-campus departments about initiatives within the Institute
- Answer phone calls and perform other various office duties
- Special projects determined by Student Director
Minimum Qualifications to Perform the Duties of the Position:
- Experience in guiding outdoor trips and programs
- Solid background in wilderness camping, Leave No Trace training preferred
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience in leadership of people and projects
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work both individually and as a team member
- Background in gender studies or an interest in learning more about gender
Contact Person: Leah Ranta, Director
Sister Nancy Hynes Institute for Women’s Leadership