College Policy for Student Account Payments

Effective July 1, 2012, the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University Student Accounts Offices have the following policy in place for Student Account Payments made with credit/debit cards:

Credit/Debit card payments are accepted through the online eBilling system. The credit/debit card payments are charged a 2.75% service fee by our vendor with a $3.00 minimum service fee. The campus does not accept credit/debit card payments directly. Card payments are processed by the outside payment vendor (TouchNet) by contract, and they charge a fee for their service. The 2.75% rate is based on the payment amount for each transaction and is determined by the vendor. The College of Saint Benedict or Saint John's University does not receive any part of the convenience fee. Electronic check or savings payment (ACH) is a payment option without an additional fee.

Common questions related to this policy are the following:

What methods of payment does the College accept?

Cash: Can be paid in person at the Student Accounts Office (Room 231 in the Main Building)

Check/Money Order: Made payable to the College of Saint Benedict and personally delivered to the Student Accounts Office or mailed to the following address:

Student Accounts Office
College of Saint Benedict
37 South College Avenue
Saint Joseph, MN 56374

When you provide a check as payment, you authorize us either to use information from your check to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account or to process the payment as a check transaction. For inquiries, please call (320) 363-5387.

Electronic Check (ACH): A free, online payment option which is available 24 hours a day, pays straight from your checking or saving account. How to make an electronic payment?

Can I pay by credit/debit card?

Yes, but only as an online service of eBilling. The College will not accept credit/debit card payments through the mail, in person, or over the phone. You or your authorized user may make student account payments with a credit/debit card from VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Diners Club, JCB, China Union Pay, BC Card, and DinaCard. You will be required to pay a separate, non-refundable service charge of 2.75% of the transaction, with a $3 minimum charge at the time of each credit/debit card payment. The non-refundable service charge, assessed by our vendor will appear as a separate line item on your card statement.

Bank Wire: Please contact our office for instructions.

Can I make payments over the phone?

Payments cannot be made over the telephone.

How do I pay my statement if I don't wish to use an electronic option?

You can pay your account by printing a copy of the eBilling statement and send it along with a check or money order to:  College of Saint Benedict, Student Accounts Office, 37 South College Avenue, St. Joseph, MN 56374

Is there a charge for using a credit/debit card at other campus departments or offices?

Credit/debit cards accepted at other campus areas do not have an additional fee; only payments to Student Accounts require the fee.

Do other campuses charge for credit/debit card payments?

The majority of other Minnesota private and public colleges do charge the same or higher fees for card payments, some have followed this policy for multiple years.