Faith Communities (FAC)
Faith Communities (FAC)
Inspired by our Catholic, Benedictine, and ecumenical heritage, the Faith Communities Ministry at the College of Saint Benedict believes that people of all faiths and backgrounds are created in love, to give and receive love. By joining people of all faiths in community, we seek to bring greater understanding and peace to our campuses and the world. Through respectful dialogue, faith sharing, fellowship, and prayer, we explore the strengths of our common values and the richness of our differences so that we may come to better understand our call to live the mystery of life.
2013-2014 Faith Communities Staff
(Left to right): Pastor Linda Lagergren, Kali Frederickson, S. Sharon Nohner, OSB, Molly Evavold, Katelyn Thoresen, and Jocelyn Alcala.
Upcoming Faith Communites Events:
- Latino Retreat, "Put on Christ," on Saturday, April 11th, 2015
- Senior Mother-Daughter Retreat, on Saturday, April 18th, 2015
Our programming includes...
As a Roman Catholic college, we are called to provide opportunities for those CSB/SJU students who are Roman Catholic. These opportunities include:
- Collaboration with St. Benedict's Monastery, St. Joseph, MN
- Presentations by CSB/SJU Theology professors on Catholic teaching, Church, and culture
- Collaboration with and support of CSB Campus Ministry's Liturgy Team to provide important liturgical celebrations at the weekly 6 p.m. Sunday Masses, regular celebrations of the sacrament of Reconciliation, Feast Days, and season-specific liturgies
- Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) and catechism coordinated by Sister Sharon Nohner, OSB, Director of CSB Campus Ministry.
Interfaith and Ecumenical Fellowship
Interfaith Gatherings are ecumenical reflections from various Christian perspectives, in which we dialogue about our common understandings and divergent interpretations. Past gatherings and opportunities have included:
- "Salvation: Who is saved? How? When are we considered saved?"
- "Sharing Our Faith Stories" - Members of various faith communities discuss their experience with God, their faith journey, as well as joys and struggles of faith
- Prayer For Christian Unity with Pastor Linda and Pastor Dwaine from Resurrection Lutheran Church, Pastor Bruce from the Gateway Church, Fr. Jerome from St. Joseph Catholic Church, and CSB Campus Ministers of diverse faith traditions.
- Celebration of Hanukah with Jewish students
- An interfaith healing prayer service for students who have experienced health issues
- Pastor Linda Lagergren, volunteer Campus Minister from Resurrection Lutheran Church in St. Joseph, MN
- Want more information on interfaith dialouge and ecumenism? Check out this handout on ecumenism!
We offer a variety of retreats designed to bring students together to grow spiritually as a community and as individuals.
- FAC offers 2 Busy Women's Retreats throughout the calendar year: one during Advent, and one during Lent
- FAC offers the Women's Wilderness Retreat, which is an overnight nature and prayer experience offered in February every year
- In collaboration with SJU Campus Ministry, FAC offers the Reveal Sophomore Retreat
- For the 2015-2016 school year, Reveal will be held Jan. 29-31, 2016
- Latino Retreat, "Put on Christ," Saturday, April 11th, 2015
- FAC offers the Senior Mother-Daughter Retreat, which will be held on Saturday, April 18th, 2015
Have you heard of the TEC Program? TEC (Together Encountering Christ) is a three day retreat weekend based on the Paschal Mystery: the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is open to men and women of all ages and is a retreat program in the Diocese of St. Cloud held in Belle Prairie, MN (near Little Falls, MN) Click on the link to learn more about this poplar retreat program in our diocese! http://cmtec.org/intro/index.html
Reflection, Prayer, and Spiritual Growth
We provide various opportunities for prayer and reflection all over campus
- Book Study on "Emotional Virtue" every Wednesday at 6pm in Upper Mary Commons
- Daily Lenten Prayer in Mary Commons from 2:00-2:15 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Candlelight Stations of the Cross, 2 Thursday's during Lent every year
- Bread and Night Blessings in the First Year and Sophomore Residence Halls at the College of St. Benedict. See pictures below!
Want to learn about other faith traditions?
Our mission in Faith Communities is to inform students and faculty at CSB/SJU about other faith traditions. Here are examples of videos our team has created celebrating various faith festivals. Check them out below!
CSB Campus Ministry welcomes those of other faith traditions to worship with the Roman Catholic faith community on campus. We also wish to serve those of other faith traditions who prefer to worship with their own religious affiliation. We help:
- attend services, prayer, or a Bible Study at Resurrection Lutheran Church
- connect students with a particular denomination and arrange transportation
- offer spirituality programs for those outside the Roman Catholic faith
- encourage ecumenical dialogue
Places and times of worship outside of campus.
These events focus on topics for those who are seeking a foundational appreciation of Catholic teachings on fundamentals in faith and morals through theological reflection and respectful dialogue. Past topics include:
- The Catholic Church's teaching on Abortion
- Taking your Conscience to the Voting Booth
- Women and the Catholic Church
- The Catholic Church and Homosexuality
- Towards Building Healthy Relationships Workshop and Retreat with Professor Kari-Shane Davis-Zimmerman
CSB Campus Ministry provides a reflection room for personal and group use. All students, faculty and staff are welcome to use this space. If you would like to request use of this space, please contact Cindy at firstname.lastname@example.org