Alum Career Network
Alum Career Network - CANE
What is CANE?
CANE is a network of CSB/SJU alums willing to share information with current students and alums about a variety of topics including: major, career options, and graduate school/volunteer experiences. These alums may also be able to share information about internship/job opportunities at various companies/organizations. Set up an information interview or job shadow to learn more!
How can I access CANE?
The CANE database is available in the Career Resource Centers (Academic Services Building - CSB; Mary Hall - SJU) on each campus. You do not need an appointment to use CANE. Just stop in and ask a Career Assistant to help you get acquainted with the database.
Alums can access similar information by utilizing the "Alum On-Line Community." Contact the Alumnae/Alumni Office for assistance and information.
What are the benefits of using CANE?
- Talking with professionals in your field of interest allows you to:
- Gain valuable information about the career and how to effectively prepare for it.
- Gain valuable information about graduate schools/programs
- Acquire information about employers/organizations which may be helpful in your internship/job search
- Gather information that may be helpful as you consider relocation to another city/part of the country/world
- View the myriad of occupations available to alums in each major.
Helpful Tips when using CANE:
- Email/call and ask if you can get together to talk with them about their career, major, etc.
- Avoid sending a list of questions and expecting the alum to respond. It's helpful to set up a time for an informational interview at their place of employment. Sometimes meeting for coffee or doing a phone appointment may be the most convenient due to geography and time constraints.
- Use the contact information to set up an Informational Interview or Job Shadow