What Do I Have to Do to be in Upward Bound?
When you decide to join UB, you make a commitment. You say, "I'm dedicated to getting good grades, I'm dedicated to going to college, and I'm dedicated to being the best person I can be."
There are three main components to Upward Bound:
Tutoring happens once a week from September to May at your school. We come to you!
The Program Advisor and a bunch of College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University students come to your school to help you with whatever homework you have to do.
Those CSB/SJU students know what it takes to make it into college, and they are going to help you get there too!
Saturday Meetings happen only once a month during the school year from September to May.
The cool thing about Saturday Meetings is that YOU get to come to COLLEGE! All of the meetings are either at Saint Ben's or at Saint John's and are only from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
When you're there, you also get to hang out with your mentor (a CSB/SJU student).
The Summer Program starts toward the middle of June and goes for 6 weeks.
All the UB students that participate stay on campus during the week (Sunday night through Friday afternoon) in the dorms.
A typical day consists of:
- Going to class in the morning (core subjects like math, English, science, social)
- Eating in the Saint Ben's cafeteria (it's all buffet!!)
- Going to afternoon elective classes (like art, sign language, photography, technology)
- Attending the study hall
- Eating again
- And then participating in evening activities (like the Saint John's Challenge Course, the talent show, the dance, Multicultural Foods Night, star gazing, sports night, and lots of other stuff)
One other perk...we travel once a week to places like the U of M or the Minnesota Capitol, and every other year we take a big trip to a place like Denver or Washington D.C.
- Making many new friends
- Getting to know lots of cool college students
- Getting help with your homework every week
- Going on college visits
- Traveling during the Summer Program
- Plus tons of other stuff!