All students will be able to compete. Staff also compete in a separate category.
There are 2 challenges for students- A Grand Champion and a smaller Green Crib's Prize.
Grand Champion: We will compare each residential hall's electricity usage to their previous usage. The residential hall that reduces electricity use by the highest percentage wins!
What do you win: Free bowling with the other winners at El Paso with refreshments on March 5th.
The Challenge lasts the entire month of February. Updates will be provided every Tuesday.
Win prizes, to save money, and decrease our carbon emissions. A plaque will be given to the CSB Staff building and CSB res hall with the biggest reductions.
To save energy do any of the following-
- Turn on your computer's energy savings settings on your personal computer. Screen savers don't save energy. Have the monitor shut off after 5-10 minutes and go to standby after 20 minutes
- Turn off lights everywhere when they aren't in use!
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with CFL's
- Plug your electronics into a power strip and turn it off when you aren't using it
- Recycle, you can power a CFL for 10 hours with the energy it takes to make a new aluminum can
- Take shorter showers at a lower temperature
- Turn your heat down a degree or two
- Unplug those mini-fridges!
- Use task lighting and turn off your overhead lights
- Unplug things in your room when you aren't using them, especially chargers
- Take the stairs
- Do laundry only when you have a full load
- Wash on cold- your clothes will last longer and dryer temperatures reach 190 degrees- that is hot enough to cook a steak