Campus Conservation Nationals
Students in Tommy and Mary will compete for the $500 prize. Results are updated every 2-3 days here.
We will compare each residential hall's electricity usage to their previous usage. The residential hall at SJU that reduces electricity use by the highest percentage wins!
The Challenge lasts the last from Feb. 25th- March 17th. Updates on usage will be online every week here.
Win prizes, to save money for the school, and decrease our carbon emissions.
To save energy do any of the following-
- Turn on your computer's energy savings settings on your personal computer. Screen savers don't save energy. Have the monitor shut off after 5-10 minutes and go to standby after 20 minutes
- Turn off lights everywhere when they aren't in use!
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with CFL's- Ask the sustainabilty office for them.
- Plug your electronics into a power strip and turn it off when you aren't using it
- Recycle, you can power a CFL for 10 hours with the energy it takes to make a new aluminum can
- Take shorter showers at a lower temperature
- Turn your heat down a degree or two
- Unplug those mini-fridges!
- Use task lighting and turn off your overhead lights
- Unplug things in your room when you aren't using them, especially chargers
- Take the stairs
- Do laundry only when you have a full load
- Wash on cold- your clothes will last longer and dryer temperatures reach 190 degrees- that is hot enough to cook a steak*
*Not recommended, actually that is really gross- can you imagine the lint on a New York strip?