Application to the Nursing Major
The College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University admits 45-54 students each year into the nursing program. Students must meet the minimum qualifications to be considered for acceptance to the nursing program. The acceptance process is competitive.
Requirements/Minimum Qualifications for Application - Due May 1
- CSB/SJU students may apply for acceptance to the Nursing major by May 1 of each year by completing the Application to the Nursing Major Form.
- Applicants must meet the minimum prerequisite course GPA requirement of 2.75 and complete all prerequisite courses with a grade of C or higher in each course.
- Prerequisite courses include: Biology 121, Biology 212, Psychology 111, Nursing 220, Chemistry 125, Nutrition 125.
Click here to see the required courses for the nursing major.
Policy on Late and Incomplete Submission of Applications:
Incomplete or late applications will be considered last after all other timely and qualified applications have been accepted, and only on a space available basis. Applicants not accepted may reapply the following year.
The Nursing Department will only accept qualified applicants up to the approved institutional limit. The Nursing Faculty retain the right to make the final decision regarding student admission to the nursing major.
Acceptance is based on timely submission of the Application to the Nursing Major Form, completion of nursing major requirements (see below) and rankings of prerequisite GPA in the following priority order:
- Qualified CSB/SJU ROTC students
- Qualified CSB/SJU Early Admission Program (EAP) students
- Qualified other CSB/SJU students
- Qualified Transfer students
- Late (after May 1 deadline) qualified applicants
If there is a tie in the nursing prerequisite GPA, then the College Cumulative GPA will be used to break the tie. Acceptance in the nursing major is contingent upon successful completion of all nursing prerequisite courses and the nursing major requirements listed below. A student may repeat prerequisite courses one time; no more than two prerequisite courses may be repeated. Applications to the major are reviewed annually in May. Students will be notified of acceptance decisions via campus e-mail accounts in early June. Academic Advising will assist those students not accepted to the major with any necessary registration changes for fall semester.
Nursing Major Requirements - Due by August 15
Students must complete all of the following requirements for final acceptance to the nursing major:
- Requirements of the Nursing Major Checklist - follow this checklist for the details and instructions on submitting the required documentation.
- Health Form - Clearance for Participation in the Nursing Program - provide clearance by a health care provider indicating current physical examination (including TB screening, latex allergy screening, physical demand analysis, and up-to-date immunizations)
- CPR Certification
- Background Study