Economics is the study of how people interact within their social and natural environments, and the constraints these environments impose, to provide goods and services for one another.
The Department of Economics at CSB/SJU offers students the opportunity to explore these interactions and to examine important economic issues and policies from the perspectives of various schools of economic thought.
Overview of Program
- Tier I of the program builds a foundation in economics, introducing the concepts and analytical tools economists use.
- Tier II courses call for students to apply the fundamentals in areas such as financial institutions, Asian economies, American economic history, international and environmental economics, economics of gender and race, and health care economics.
- Three Tier II courses (EC 332/333/332) provide the theoretical tools for advanced study.
- Tier III courses applying sophisticated economic tools to such topics as labor, industrial organization, economic growth and development, and monetary and welfare theories and policies.
- Tier III culminates with students completing an independent research project in economics (EC 384).