External Summer Research and Internship Opportunities in Chemistry
We have placed students at many of the sites below.
Chemistry & Materials Science
- NSF/REU Programs - Research Experience for Undergraduates, sponsored by National Science Foundation. These opportunities are available at various institutions around the country and international sites. International REU sites will sometimes hire graduated seniors. This program offers the largest single list of research opportunities available.
- National Institute of Standards & Technology - materials science and engineering.
- IBM-Almaden Program in Materials Science - The IBM Research Internship Awards program was established to promote diversity and develop access to a larger and more diverse group of outstanding candidates..
- University of Minnesota Lando Program
- University of Akron, College of Polymer Science - another area with very high employment rates. $6000 summer stipend!
- University of Minnesota LSSURP Program - Recent participants: Alissa Carrow ‘06
- NIH Summer Internships in Biomedical Research - National Institutes of Health. Application Form
- NIH Summer Clinical Research
- M.D.-Ph.D. Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
- More links for M.D.-Ph.D Summer Research Programs
- Cancer Research at Eppley Institute - Recent participants: Shawn Alderman '99, Francis Insaidoo '99
- Mayo Clinic
- Biomedical Research at Medical College of Wisconsin
- University of Texas Southwestern Graduate School
- University of Kansas, Pharmaceutical Chemistry Department
- University of Iowa, Department of Biochemistsry | Department of Chemistry
Energy, Environment, Planetary Science
- National Labs -Los Alamos, Sandia, Lawrence Livermore - semester and summer programs:
- Department of Energy- about a dozen sites around the country; research in energy and the environment.
- NASA - Goddard Space Center
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute -